"User Profile cannot be updated" error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
       I've been using SCT then SS v2, & now SS2.5 for several years (or at least since they became available) in a public Library.
    I have a approx 40 pcs running SS and a set number of apps that I install on all of them so I'll save the shortcuts that I create on the first one and copy them to later pcs. The problem is that periodically, (during setup primarily) I receive the above error.
    In the past, I've just deleted the profile and started over but, I've done that 3 times now. Seems like a simple task. After setting SS not to show programs from the all users start menu, I add the short cuts to the start menu and add them to the desktop. Most of the time there is no problem. This one is driving me nuts though. I don't copy the desktop.ini just shortcut icons.
    BTW, this has happened on XP as well as Vista (Vista in this case).

Any ideas would help.
    TIA
    Dan
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:32 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Dan, I suggest we try the following method on Windows XP computer and check the result:

Suggestion 1: Disable Antivirus applications

Suggestion 2: Install UPClean

-----------------------------

Download and install the UPHCLEAN tool on the terminal server to test this issue again. UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces open resources to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles. This tool can be downloaded from the link below:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps!

Monday, September 1, 2008 6:15 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Dan, I suggest we try the following method on Windows XP computer and check the result:

Suggestion 1: Disable Antivirus applications

Suggestion 2: Install UPClean

-----------------------------

Download and install the UPHCLEAN tool on the terminal server to test this issue again. UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces open resources to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles. This tool can be downloaded from the link below:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps!

Monday, September 1, 2008 6:15 AM
  • I tried that before posting.  Any other suggestions for future reference? I have already removed the patron profile and created another (using a different name).
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Hi Dan, does the issue resolved on Windows XP computer after using the tool? I also suggest trying the following steps on Windows Vista computer:

1.       Click Start, type "services.msc" in Start Search and press Enter.

2.       Locate User Profile Service.

3.       Change Start type to Automatic and Service status to Start.

4.       Then, we can restart the computer and check the result.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:42 AM