none
Data Protection Manager 2012 - Inconsistent when backing up Deduplicated File Server

Question

• Protected Server

• Server 2012 File Server with Deduplication running on Data drive

DPM Server

• Server 2012
    • Data Protection Manager 2012 Service Pack 1

We just recently upgraded our DPM server from DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 primarily because it is supposed to support Data Deduplication. Our primary File server that holds our home directories etc. is limited on space and was quickly running low so just after we got DPM 2012 in place we optimized the drive on the file server which compressed the data about 50%. Unfortunately shortly after enabling deduplication the protected shares on the deduplicated volume are getting a Replica is Inconsistent error.

I continually get Replica is Inconsistent for the Server that has deduplication running on it. All of the other protected servers are being protected as they should be. I have run a consistency check multiple times probably about 10 times and it keeps going back to Replica is inconsistent. The replica volume shows that it is using 3.5 TB and the Actual protect volume is 4TB in size and has about 2.5 TB of data on it with Deduplication enabled.

This is the details of the error

Affected area:   G:\

Occurred since: 1/12/2015 4:55:14 PM

Description:        The replica of Volume G:\ on E****.net is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

More information

Recommended action: 

Synchronize with consistency check.

Run a synchronization job with consistency check...

Resolution:         To dismiss the alert, click below

Inactivate

Steps taken to resolve - I’ve spent some time doing some searches and haven’t found any solutions to what I am seeing. I have the data deduplication role installed on the DPM server which has been the solution for many people seeing similar issues. I have also removed that role and the added it back. I have also removed the protected server and added it back to the protection group. It synchronizes and says consistent then after a few hours it goes back to inconsistent. When I go to recovery it shows that I have recovery points and it appears that I can restore but because the data is inconstant I don’t feel I can trust the data in the recovery points. Both the protected server and the DPM servers’ updates are managed via a WSUS server on our network.

You may suggest I just un-optimize the drive on the protected server however after I have optimized the drive it takes a large amount more of space to un-optimize it (Anyone know why that is) anyways the drive isn’t large enough to support un-optimization.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advanced.

Sunday, February 01, 2015 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OK - thanks for that.  The synchronization failures are normal when the replica is inconsistent.

The failed CC job appears to me to be associated with DPM unable to move a ChunkStore folder located under the replica path back to the root of the replica as it already exists.  If my hunch is correct, this failure is rare and usually only occurs if someone tries to manually enable windows dedup on the replica volume itself.  Unfortunately, the steps to fix it are too lengthy and detailed to post in a forum - so you have two choices.

1)  Remove the data source from protection and DELETE the replica volume, then re-protect it so DPM can make a new replica.

2) Open a support case so we can help cleanup the Chunkstore and possible settings folder associated with dedup on the replica.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:21 PM

All replies

• You need DPM 2012 R2 with Update Rollup 4

Gleb.

Monday, February 02, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

It seems like you are in a supported configuration as per the TechNet page.

What are the detail of the failed consistency check job ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 02, 2015 4:36 PM
  • That's the same chart I was looking at so I thought I would be ok.

The error that is reported after running a consistency check job is the same as the one listed in my original post.

Monday, February 02, 2015 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

You only supplied Alert detail, I need the failed job details that will have the specific error code why it failed.

Monday, February 02, 2015 7:07 PM
  • Not sure if I know where to find that. I have looked through the console and also looked under the DPM group and application group in Event Viewer but it shows the same message as above. Is it in the DPM\Temp folder? I tried doing a few searches but can't seem to find what you are looking for. Sorry not a pro on DPM I'm more self taught learn as I go.
    Monday, February 02, 2015 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Start a new consistency check, and after it fails, look under Management - jobs - click on todays jobs - click on the failed CC job and in the details section will be the detailed error code and reason.  Please Right-click in the details and select the copy details and paste it in here.

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 1:08 AM
  • Ok I ran a consistency check and it completed successfully with the following message. However after a few minutes of it showing OK it now shows Replica is Inconsistent again.

Type: Consistency check
    Description: The job completed successfully with the following warning:
     An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Cannot create a file when that file already exists (0x800700B7))
     More information
    End time: 2/3/2015 11:19:38 AM
    Start time: 2/3/2015 10:34:35 AM
    Time elapsed: 00:45:02
    Data transferred: 220.74 MB
    Cluster node -
    Source details: G:\
    Protection group members: 35
     Details
    Protection group: E*
    Items scanned: 2017709
    Items fixed: 653

There was a log for a failed synchronization job from yesterday here are the details of that.

Type: Synchronization
    Description: The replica of Volume G:\ on E*.net is not consistent with the protected data source. (ID 91)
     More information
    End time: 2/2/2015 10:04:01 PM
    Start time: 2/2/2015 10:04:01 PM
    Time elapsed: 00:00:00
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node -
    Source details: G:\
    Protection group members: 35
     Details
    Protection group: E*

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

OK - thanks for that.  The synchronization failures are normal when the replica is inconsistent.

The failed CC job appears to me to be associated with DPM unable to move a ChunkStore folder located under the replica path back to the root of the replica as it already exists.  If my hunch is correct, this failure is rare and usually only occurs if someone tries to manually enable windows dedup on the replica volume itself.  Unfortunately, the steps to fix it are too lengthy and detailed to post in a forum - so you have two choices.

1)  Remove the data source from protection and DELETE the replica volume, then re-protect it so DPM can make a new replica.

2) Open a support case so we can help cleanup the Chunkstore and possible settings folder associated with dedup on the replica.

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:21 PM
  • I went and followed option 1 and removed the data source and protection group and deleted the replica but after re-protecting the server I'm getting the same error messages.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:15 PM
  • Can you supply new failed job details. You may need to look in the dpmracurr.errlog after a failure to see why it's failing.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

Having a similar problem with one server that wont move along on its consistency check for dpm 2016 UR4..

Not sure how to troubleshoot and fix..

Works fine for all the others servers except this one.  I cant find the server in DPMRAcurr.errlog

I am seeing this on the server side (dpm side)

DPM failed to communicate with vserver04.domain.local because the computer is unreachable. (ID: 41)

Tech, the Universe, Everything: http://tech-stew.com Just Plane Crazy http://flight-stew.com

Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:08 PM