AppV 5: Sequencing OFFICE 2010-How to manage settings for Outllook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am sequencing OFFICE 2010 with APP-V 5.0. I have heard that with APP-V 5.0 we can enable the Outlook search. That is what I am trying to do so. I have sequenced the OFFICE 2010 package by the steps recommended by Microsoft but it has not enabled the search feature of Outlook. With some modification I have been able to enable the Outlook feature with two methods:-

- Uncheck the "Exchange Cache mode"
                    - Open Outlook >click on File > Options > Search > Indexing options >Modify > Uncheck Outlook
                      Click on OK then close and restart Outlook to check if search results fetch correctly.

Now these settings require manual intervention to implement. I need to implement one of the method while sequencing the OFFICE 2010 Package.

1) Is there any method we can modify the settings for Outlook while sequencing?

2) There is a registry key "[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem]" which stores the data for a profile. I have deleted the registry key and it has successfully deleted the data for the configured profile. I have also deleted the entry from the settings of the Mail in the Control Panel. Also deleted the pst files for the profile.
    But when I am again launching the Outlook I have been prompted to create a new profile, but not with the normal steps. It has been prompting me for a new windows before providing the details for the profile to configure:-

Which is unlike the way we configure a new profile when first time the outlook was launched. What other registry entries I have to delete so that this prompt will not come.

Gaurav Ranjan

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:50 AM

All replies

• The obvious first questions and statements for all Office 2010 related queries.

Did you deploy the OffVirt Msi? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2627274?wa=wsignin1.0

And Aarons guide: http://stealthpuppy.com/community/white-paper-the-definitive-guide-to-delivering-microsoft-office-with-app-v/

Most of this should still be valid for 2010. The Msi is what should allow certain settings to remain local and be seen by your system.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Hi Rorymon,

Thanks for your replies, but I am Sequencing OFFICE 2010 with APP-V 5.0 and the links provided by you are for APP-V 4.6.

The prompt that is popping up is I think not for the licensing and yes I have installed the Offvirt.msi. The sequencing of OFFICE 2010 with APP-V 5.0 has been done with Integration.
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830069

Gaurav Ranjan

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:52 AM
  • Hello,

In what steps of the sequencing process did you "delete" all this stuff?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Outlook Search now has become like a mountain to climb :)

Right now I am testing it on a virtual machine having OFFICE 2010 locally installed. Not on any sequencer.

First I had launched outlook and configured a profile. Then deleted the registry "Windows Messaging Subsystem". Removed the profile from the mail option in control panel. Deleted the .OSTs.

After that when I am again launching the Outlook, I am getting the prompt (screenshot in my above post) which is unexpected.

When I will sequence, I would like to launch the outlook and will do all the steps just after installing the OFFICE 2010 products and right before doing "I am finished installing" at the installation steps. I am not planning to launch Outlook in the "Configure Software" or the "Customize>>Streaming" step.

I have verified that these are the global settings and will be applied to every configured profile on that very machine. So I am planning to integrate all this settings with sequencer. Its a kind of new things but I hope it will work if once I will know how to wriggle out from this prompt issue.

Gaurav Ranjan

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Hello,

I suggest you leverage the setup.exe /admin, Group Policy or any other third-party toolset to enforce a default set of options - the way you are attempting is not recommended by anyone and without a extreme in-depth knowledge of Outlook and its impact on any Windows system this would cause you additional headache and a poor user experience.

Your attempt is not a new thing, it is a thing that has been tested a lot - and it works poorly.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Hi Znack,

I am doing all these research to enable Outlook search with the sequenced package. I dont know what impact it will have on the package. What my first priority is to enable the outlook search. But unfortunately launching outlook while sequencing and enabling all the settings has also not worked for me. Still the Outlook is not working with Search function.

Gaurav Ranjan

Monday, May 27, 2013 10:48 AM