none
DPM 2007 Consistency Check Slow RRS feed

• Question

• Our DPM 2007 SP1 server is backing up a file server containing about 300 GB of data.  Creating the inital replication took about 8 hours and has for the past week worked fine creating recovery points and synchronizations.  But by the end of the week DPM notifies me that the replica is inconsistant and needs a consistancy check.  So far it has been running for 22 hours and only 7 GB of data has been transfered.  Why is this taking so long?  I know it needs to perform checksum change checks but still this is getting out of hand.  The file server, DPM server, and switches have gigabit link aggregation.The client version is 2.0.8844.0

I have already tired deleting the protection group and the data.  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the client on the file server and still have these problems.  Sould I try installing a different client revision.  Did I not delete things correctly the first time?

Thanks for your help in advance

Saturday, October 2, 2010 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

CC will always take longer than Initial replication and not much you can do to speed it up.  Data transfered is only changed blocks, so depending how long it's been inconsistent and the data churn will determine how much data gets transfered during CC.

The latest DPM 2007 QFE is V 2.0.8864.0 found in Data Protection Manager 2007 KB 979970 and can be downloaded from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=775e1a23-825f-450a-9d71-6b8c951ea748

However, that will not speed up CC.  You need to look at the failed Sync job that caused the replica to go inconsistent to begin with and try to avoid that problem in the future.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:13 AM