Import of SharePoint users / groups into ADLDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Unsure where to ask this, but figured I would start from here

I have a SharePoint 2003 server (residing on its own domain) with a LOT of users and a very large schema. There is a plan to decomm that SharePoint server along with its associated domain

So the plan is to create a new server, with ADLDS and migrate the schema / users / passwords over to the new server with ADLDS. We are getting rid of SP all together

Is there a tool / utility that can do this export from SP and import into ADLDS wich can also modify the domain name (OLD to NEW) but also keep the passwords the same accross the users being imported and its large schema?

Can anyone recomend anything?

Friday, March 16, 2012 12:31 AM

All replies

•  

Hi fickle,

As far as I know, In SharePoint 2007, you can’t in export the user/group in to domain. But in SharePoint 2010, you can achieve it easily. I find a small tool on CodePlex(http://userprofileimport.codeplex.com/ ). You can export this to a csv file. Then you can import the csv file into your domain.

If you want rename then domain name, please use Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Domain Rename Tools .The following is then download site.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb405948.aspx

Thanks,

Jack

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:55 AM
  • It will be hard to move users or groups in case of sharepoint 2003/2007.

In SP2010 there some services to write back users/groups in to AD.

Thanks

Avinash.Devkate 

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:09 AM
  • Unfortunately we are not migrating from one version of SP to a new version of SP. We are removing SP all together, but we need to maintain the current user database and the associated schemas that was stored in SP. In the end, we are developing our own app which will use the old SP user database (ADAM / ADLDS) to authenticate to

From research thus far, I think we can take a dump of the user database (old domain) and import it but the passwords do not get carried accross. Was trying to make a seemless migration from SP to new NON SP environment but so far, no luck

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:25 AM