none
What is the best practice to inactivate a resource within PWA RRS feed

• Question

• I have users who are enterprise resources. Some of these resources are not currently working on projects and have no tasks assigned to them. I don't want the prior work history to be deleted. My goal is to keep the list of active resources up to date. I expect to review this list at least annually. Currently have a list of 400 enterprise resources and really only 300 are currently working on projects. These 100 resources with no current tasks assigned may work on future projects, but don't anticipate they will be needed for projects in the next six months. This is what I think should be done within PWA, looking for verification. Please let me know if there is another way to achieve this, or if my actions would have a negative impact that I may not have anticipated.  Thanks in advance for reviewing this

1) Go to resource center

2) Select applicable resource to be inactivated

3) Select edit resource

4) Under Identification information for the field Account Status, select Inactive

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Tracey Lovie,

What you want to do would work for me, also if inactive resources have remaining work, the PM will be notified of this when they open the project in MS Project.

I guess the bigger question is, why bother inactivating them in the 1st place?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Hi Tracey,

If you allow me to jump in and add to Ben's excellent answer, I'd mention another procedure which requires less clicks.

1. Go to server settings,
    2. click on "manage users",
    3. Select all users who must be deactivated,
    4. Click on "Deactivate users"

Note that usually, I also removed them from the security groups.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:24 PM
  • You're more than welcome Tracey. Deactivating users is more intended to prevent users not anymore in the organisation to connect to Project Server and to be assigned on tasks.

If any of the above replies were helpful, please mark then as an answer so we can close the thread.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Okay, in this case, I would liaise directly with the supplier to determine their definition of inactive, it might not be the same as Project Server's.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Tracey Lovie,

What you want to do would work for me, also if inactive resources have remaining work, the PM will be notified of this when they open the project in MS Project.

I guess the bigger question is, why bother inactivating them in the 1st place?

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Hi Tracey,

If you allow me to jump in and add to Ben's excellent answer, I'd mention another procedure which requires less clicks.

1. Go to server settings,
    2. click on "manage users",
    3. Select all users who must be deactivated,
    4. Click on "Deactivate users"

Note that usually, I also removed them from the security groups.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:24 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response. I work in in a newer/emerging PMO. I was under the impression that there was a monthly charge we paid to our vendor based on active resources. I will double check this information. Wishing you a very happy holiday season
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:41 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response!
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:42 PM
  • You're more than welcome Tracey. Deactivating users is more intended to prevent users not anymore in the organisation to connect to Project Server and to be assigned on tasks.

If any of the above replies were helpful, please mark then as an answer so we can close the thread.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Okay, in this case, I would liaise directly with the supplier to determine their definition of inactive, it might not be the same as Project Server's.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:24 PM