none
I need to allocate resource assignment with StartDate and EndDate different from StartDate and EndDate of Activity. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    it is possible to allocate a resource on a task with different dates.
    example:

Task 1: Start Date "01 Jan 2012", End Date "31 Jan 2012"

Can I allocate Jhon on Task 1 from "05 Jan 2012" to "25 Jan 2012" whitout Project reculculate something and change Start Date and/or End Date of task ?

I tried also with Manual calculate option but when i add resource to task, resource assignment data (start, end, duration) are calculated and propagated to task).

Best Regards

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• Not if Jhon is the only resource on the task. If you assign Jhon to hte task and then change their assignment start date and they are the only resource then the task dates will change to equal the assignment dates.

Logically it makes sense. If a task is the doing of work and the resource is the person doin that work then did the task really start before the work started?

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Not if Jhon is the only resource on the task. If you assign Jhon to hte task and then change their assignment start date and they are the only resource then the task dates will change to equal the assignment dates.

Logically it makes sense. If a task is the doing of work and the resource is the person doin that work then did the task really start before the work started?

Hi,
    I thought that by activating the "manual calculation" option I am free to set the schedule as I want (Project Engine -> off).

In my company there are no restrictions on the duration of the task and the allocation of resources.

I can declare a task from 01 January 2012 to 31 January 2012 and establish that a resource it will only work one week.

The start/end dates of activities are independent from when/how moucha resource can/should work.

Can I get this?

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:23 AM
  • If I understand your questions I think this can be accomplished

One way this would be possible is to create a "Fixed Duration" task from "05-Jan-2012"  to "25-Jan-2012".  Once the task is created add Jhon to the task as the resource.  It will initally create the assignment with the number of work hours Jhon could work based on the duration and Jhon units.  

You could then use the "Task Usage" view to change the number of hours Jhon works on the task in any given period,  including periods with no-work.   Since it is a "fixed duration" task the dates will not move.    You are basically contouring the work over the duration of the task.

Hope this helps

Fletcher

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:14 PM
  • OK but what is happening outside of that one week? If no work is happening then is the task really happening?

As Fletcher points out, if you have a fixed duration task you can have this condition but you end up with 'dotted lines' from the task start to the assignment start and from the assignment finish to the task finish. It is possible but I would question the logic of what you are trying to model.

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:21 PM
  • I think it is fair enough to say that the task can have existence, can be in progress, and have a start date and a finish date and a duration which are all independent of whether anyone is doing any work on every day or any particular day of the duration.

One way to force it to happen, without getting those little dotted lines on the bar on the days when there is no assignment, is to assign a dummy resource at 100%, $0 (and then be aware that the dummy resource's work is included in the total work).

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:43 PM
  • I would contend that if there is a portion of the task that happens before anyone is doing work on the task then this portion might be best modeled with a separate task instead of having to add work that is not really work by assigning a dummy resource.

Im hoping we can get some information about the nature of these tasks so we can better provide an answer.

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:55 PM
  • It sounds as though the schedule is not important here. What's important is that there is a task which may have a high value for free slack. So there is a successor task somewhere in the future which requires this task to be completed. Why not just let it be scheduled that way? Start with the task duration and the assignment duration being the same.

If it then turns out that you want to postpone the start of the assignment, specify an assignment delay. This will have the effect of postponing the scheduled days on which the resource will work. The task duration will stay the same and in the Gantt chart view you will see the telltale dotted split task representation. In any case, whoever is deciding when the assignment work should start, keep an eye on the Late Start date to make sure that you are not postponing subsequent tasks.

Graham

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:19 AM