Local profile folder cannot be deleted due to WER RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 production environment with Citrix User Profile Management installed. This in essence utilizes the Windows Roaming profile mechanism and local user profiles are created under C:\Users. Occassionally, I observe the following behavior: 

When a user logs off from Citrix, the corresponding local profile folder under C:\Users is not deleted thus creating issues with Citrix profile properties not being retained as a temporary profile is created on subsequent logon. After having carried out in-depth troubleshooting, the issue is narrowed down to the following folders not being deleted. 

• C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive
    • C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

If i try to manually delete these folders I get a permissions denied error and I cannot change the owner of the folders to any domain administrator or local administrator user. 

The above WER folders cannot be deleted due to permissions/security reasons and they are only deleted after server reboot, which of course is not an acceptable fix to the issue. We have tried applying MS hotfix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2661663/stale-user-profile-folders-are-not-deleted-completely-in-windows-7-or on the affected servers but to no avail.

Do you have any ideas or thoughts? Is this is a known issue with WER? How can I ensure that WER is completely disabled on the affected Windows 2008 R2 SP1 servers?

Stefanos Evangelou

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hello, 

WER issue was pinpointed and it is rooted in bug of Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus which is installed on the servers. 

Fix is provided in the following link: https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/local-profile-folder-cannot-be-deleted-due-symantec-endpoint-protection. 

Stefanos Evangelou

Friday, September 22, 2017 8:40 PM

All replies

• There is a fix for this on the citrix side. Get a look.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:40 AM
  • Hello, 

Can you please provide more information or Citrix link? Is the fix you are referring to WER specific or not?

Thanks in advance.

Stefanos Evangelou

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:42 AM
  • It's referring to UPM issue and XA6.5. It's a bit far away from my head but I remember having dealing the exact same issue some years ago. 

Tips : don't look at the user's deletion right now, focus on why the citrix layer is not properly closing the prof.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:46 PM
  • Hello, 

WER issue was pinpointed and it is rooted in bug of Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus which is installed on the servers. 

Fix is provided in the following link: https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/local-profile-folder-cannot-be-deleted-due-symantec-endpoint-protection. 

Stefanos Evangelou

Friday, September 22, 2017 8:40 PM