none
“DPM in System Center 2012 R2” support of “Windows Server 2008” and “Windows Server 2003“ RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As I see in “Support Matrix for DPM Protection” article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx at this moment:

• “DPM in System Center 2012 SP1” does not support “Windows Server 2012 R2“.
    • “DPM in System Center 2012 R2” does not support “Windows Server 2008” and “Windows Server 2003“.

It is very bad.

Are there any plans to enable (as examples):

1. “Windows Server 2012 R2“ support in “DPM in System Center 2012 SP1” by using DPM Agent from R2?
    2. “Windows Server 2008” and “Windows Server 2003“support in “DPM in System Center 2012 R2” by using older DPM Agent versions?

Thanks!

Aleksandrs

Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:23 AM

All replies

• This is bad. I just upgraded after 3 days of working on it and realized this now.

I was looking at this document (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848301.aspx) where it states:

Applies To: System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager, System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager, System Center 2012 SP1 - Data Protection Manager

and

The protected computer should be running Windows Server 2003 SP2 or later.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:25 PM
  • I'm astounded that MS thought it was a good idea to remove support for server 2003 and 2008.  Backups are a critical function, especially on servers that can't be upgraded yet for whatever reason.  

It wouldn't be so bad if DPM didn't have to be upgraded to 2012R2 before other major components like OM and CM, and if dpm 2012sp1 would support backing up Server 2012R2.  At least that would allow us to continue using dpm 2012sp1 for now, while moving ahead with upgrades to servers and other system center components such as configmgr, opsmgr, etc.  As it stands, we're forced to either hold back all of our systems so we don't lose the ability to back up one or two older servers, or to look at migrating to a different backup solution.  

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Hopefully this is just a case of documentation that is lacking. If not, I only wish that this isn't the case for VMs (when doing backups on 2008 R2 or later Hyper-V hosts).

EDIT: I also wish the forums had a quicker response time (from MS) esp. just after GA.

• Edited by CypherMike Friday, October 25, 2013 8:00 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 7:58 PM
  • So far, I have yet to see even a confirmation from MS that the support matrix is correct, much less an explanation for why they dropped support for backing up the older server OS's.  

[rant]As I understand it:

• DPM 2012R2 won't back up Server 2008
    • DPM 2012 won't back up Server 2012 R2
    • DPM has to be upgraded before other major SC components, such as ConfigMgr , VMM, and OpsMgr.

Add to that other tools that no longer support managing other versions windows...

• Hyper V manager 2012 won't manage 2008 or 2008R2
    • Remote Desktop Server management tools in 2012 won't manage 2008 or 2008R2
    • Server Manager 2012R2 won't even manage some functions of server 2012, such as IPAM

And the list goes on. . . 

Since the RSAT tools are different for each client OS version, I have to pick which servers I want to be able to manage from my workstation, and match my OS version and RSAT version to those servers.  

What happened to the days when MS offered at least limited support for managing across versions?  Remote Desktop Session manager, for example, in 2008R2, worked with Terminal servers running all the way back to Win2k... 

I'm not sure how Microsoft expect anyone to be able to upgrade to the current versions of Windows Server and System Center.  It's like they think we can just shut down all of our servers one night and rebuild them all with the latest OS and server applications.   I try to keep our systems running the current versions of software, but the increased release pace and decreased support for cross-version management is making it incredibly difficult to keep up.

[/rant]

Could someone from MS/the DPM team enlighten us as to why they cut support for 2008 server, and whether there's any hope for a patch to add it back in?  

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:49 PM
  • So no response back from Microsoft? 

[Start Venting] Microsoft support has not been very helpful either. I submitted ticket because I just upgraded and then when trying to update the clients agents it failed on two. Put in ticket and then after a day of troubleshooting and installing hot fixes and an unscheduled server restart in production still not working. Then I get the email oh, you're on Windows 2003 R2/Windows 2008.  It is no longer supported. Uh, how could a product that is still being supported by Microsoft (albeit, close to end of life) is no longer being supported in DPM. I'm a little shocked.  I have our main ERP Server that is still running on older hw that needs to be backed up (SOX Compliance).  Frustrated to say the least.  I need to rethink DPM and maybe go to a backup appliance, so it isn't tied to a OS version.  I have been so frustrated with DPM from the start.  [End Venting]

Cameron

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:20 PM
  • Is it possible for you to virtualize your 2008/2003 servers, then use DPM 2012 R2 to backup the VM's themselves instead of the actual server drives/data itself?

May not be the best way, but it does give you a recovery process in the mean time.

I am in same situation, the Medical Industry is hard pressed to upgrade to Windows 7 and 2008 R2 for many applications and functions, they have many systems still linked ONLY to IE 7, WinXP, 2003 R2 etc. The actual Hospitals, Clinics and Doctors are at the mercy of the vendors who already charge/gouge premium prices for purchase and support agreements on such old software/hardware systems that they have performed very little development and advancement for the past decade even with all this cash flow!

So, for now I have stalled my System Center upgrades at 2012 SP1 (which doesn't support the few Windows 8.1 systems we do have available).

Randall

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:45 PM