Windows 7 Professional need installer update I was told RRS feed

• Question

• I have no idea if I am in the correct place or not. I have a problem with Windows 7 Professional when I try to install my HP Photosmart Premium printer/scanner/fax/copier. I get message Setup has stopped running. I have talked with HP and was told I needed to update win 7 installer. As I have downloaded both the 32 and 64bit software and gotten the same message I tried the “Find solution” with no results. I have tried win updates 2 times with no results. I hope you are able to help and that I am in the correct place. If not, please e-mail me so I can start looking again. lol
    Thanks,
    Darrell
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the model of your printer and is it compatible with Windows 7?

The latest version of Windows Installer is 5.0. Windows Installer 5.0 is built-in in Windows 7. If you still can install other programs, your Windows Installer should be fine.

You may perform the following steps to clear previous printer driver and reinstall printer.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Search bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Local Port

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

After that, please try to reinstall the printer in Clean Boot to test the issue.

Does it work?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:07 AM

All replies

• Are you downloading the correct Win7 drivers? At www.hp.com, I see drivers for 5 "Photosmart Premium" devices: C309a, C309c, C309g, C309h, and C309n. The names are similar, but the driver packages appear to be different.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the model of your printer and is it compatible with Windows 7?

The latest version of Windows Installer is 5.0. Windows Installer 5.0 is built-in in Windows 7. If you still can install other programs, your Windows Installer should be fine.

You may perform the following steps to clear previous printer driver and reinstall printer.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Search bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Local Port

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

After that, please try to reinstall the printer in Clean Boot to test the issue.

Does it work?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:07 AM