locked
Journal Database increases by 10GB an hour (actual Mailbox size is 220 MB) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am running into a funny Database Growth on my Exchange 2013 CU 8 Environment.
    Our Environment is running standard journaling (via Database option). I have a Seperate Journal Database where the Journal Mailbox is located on. As I activated journaling, the Mailbox size increased drasticly (by around 10 GB per hour) althought the Mailbox is only 220 MB in size. it ended up filling a 150 GB LUN in less the 24 hours.

    The Journal DB has no limitations on Mailbox size, as I cannot tell how big it will get. Mails and Mailboxes are not retained when deleted. As well as "do not delete Messages before a Backup is done " is disabled.

    I am currently running a Powershell script which is moving the Mailbox into a fresh created Database as a "Quick Fix".
    Never the less, a real valid sultion would be appreciated. Can anyone give me a hint on where I can look for a solution?

    Thanks

    Stephan

    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 12:55 PM

Answers

  • Hi Ed,

    I was able to narrow the issue down to bouncing Mails inside our Mail Queues.

    It seems there was a size limitation I obviously overlooked when I set up the Environment.

    After I change the limit to a needed size, the massive increase stopped, and the Mailbox behaves as expected.

    Thanks for your Help on this issue.

    With best Regards

    Stephan

    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:51 AM

All replies

  • The database will never shrink in size.  If there's any delay in pulling the messages from the archive database, it will continue to grow as much as it needs to.  You'll want to make sure that the database is configured with a 0-day deleted item recovery period so that deleted items are actually deleted and not retained for the default 14 days.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:06 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ed,

    Thanks for your reply.

    The Problem is, that it takes far too much diskspace as it should. We had to disable retention as it filled up the 150 GB Disk yesterday within 6 hours. (actual mailbox size today is 441 MB.) 0 day deletion is configured as well as DeletedItemRetention,CalendarLoggingQuota,RecoverableItemsQuotaand MailboxRetention is set to narly 0. RetainDeletedItemsUntilBackup is set to $false.

    Do you have any other Idea to where this might come from?

    Friday, June 5, 2015 7:05 AM
  • You'll need to make sure that the archiving system is removing items.

    You could log into the archive mailbox and see what's in there.


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

    Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:15 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ed,

    I was able to narrow the issue down to bouncing Mails inside our Mail Queues.

    It seems there was a size limitation I obviously overlooked when I set up the Environment.

    After I change the limit to a needed size, the massive increase stopped, and the Mailbox behaves as expected.

    Thanks for your Help on this issue.

    With best Regards

    Stephan

    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:51 AM