none
How to keep drivers in captured image? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a new laptop model that we are struggling with to get all the drivers and software-based softpaqs like Intel WIDI, Intel Rapid Start and a few other problem items to automatically install silently as part of our normal task sequence and it isn't working.  We need to move forward and get a working image done ASAP so we can deploy these laptops in a few days.  We may need to figure out why some of the unattended softpaq installs are not working at a later date.

As a workaround, I would like to just make a dedicated image for these laptops with all the drivers and unique software installed and skip the driver injection and softpaq installation process when deploying these systems.  I have been trying to use SSM to deploy HP softpaqs with MDT for several days and it has been a frustrating waste of time because it works about 90% of the way and fails for a few items or just hangs at the end.

What is the procedure to sysprep and capture the image without losing drivers and then having to re-inject them?  I know there is some kind of persist drivers command, but where to you add this command within a MDT capture task sequence?  Maybe I can syprep and capture a wim file outside of MDT using GImageX and then import that thick image into MDT as an operating system.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:00 AM

Answers

• We've had the same issue with some of our machines.

This is what we did to keep the drivers when sysprepping, there might be a better solution...

1. Open the properties of the task sequence and open the OS Info tab. Click the Edit Unattend.xml button.
    If no Catalog file has been found, it will try to create one. This might take a while.

2. When the unattend.xml file has loaded, you'll find a Components section down to the left, expand it and find the component that containts "Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep". Right click and choose "Add to step 3 generalize"

3. On the right side edit the PersistAllDeviceInstalls option to be true.

4. Save the Unattend.xml file and close.

You can find more information about this option here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff716298.aspx

This was enough for us to keep the drivers into the image, I hope it works for you.

• Proposed as answer by Hollanders, Rens Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:41 AM

All replies

This is what we did to keep the drivers when sysprepping, there might be a better solution...

1. Open the properties of the task sequence and open the OS Info tab. Click the Edit Unattend.xml button.
    If no Catalog file has been found, it will try to create one. This might take a while.

2. When the unattend.xml file has loaded, you'll find a Components section down to the left, expand it and find the component that containts "Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep". Right click and choose "Add to step 3 generalize"

You can find more information about this option here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff716298.aspx

This was enough for us to keep the drivers into the image, I hope it works for you.

• Proposed as answer by Hollanders, Rens Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:41 AM
  • You can also skip sysprep and capture the image only.  This will keep the drivers and a ton of settings

IT Support " Scripting Noob "

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:29 PM

There is something missing.

I just tried that and when I did step 2.  It was not editable.  I do not see any option right clicking to to change or edit anything.  The only options are  cut, copy delete and help.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:47 PM
  • You can also skip sysprep and capture the image only.  This will keep the drivers and a ton of settings

IT Support " Scripting Noob "

Wouldn't that also cause duplicate SIDs?
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:58 PM

There is something missing.

I just tried that and when I did step 2.  It was not editable.  I do not see any option right clicking to to change or edit anything.  The only options are  cut, copy delete and help.

I see the settings now.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:16 PM