none
Mystery Home Drive

Question

• Hello

There are only two domain admins on my network and we are both experiencing this same problem.  It's not happening to anybody else. I can't see how being an admin could be a factor but just in case it's relevant, there it is.

If I log into my computer immediately after a reboot my home drives maps, as expected, to \\domain.com\share\username and is labeled Home (H:).  

The issue is, if I wait for a couple minutes after a reboot, or if I log out and back in again, my home drive maps to \\netbiosDomain\Share\username.domain with no label.  The folder did not exist before so it's created with the correct permissions of a home folder.

I used to map home drives on H: to \\netbiosDomain\share\username (never username.domain) in ADUC but I have removed that mainly because of trying to fix this issue, but it should be handled by GPO anyway.  I have removed the home drive from the profile tab in ADUC for everyone and now map it with "Set user home folder" in  Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles to map to \\domain.com\share\username.

I also have an update GPP mapping H: to the same location.  This is just to put a label on it and make it look pretty.  The previous GPO ensures the folder is created with the appropriate permissions for new users, and also sets the HOMEDRIVE, HOMESHARE and HOMEPATH variables.

If I disconnect the\\netbiosDomain\Share\username.domain H drive then run gpupdate I get the properly labeled \\domain.com\share\username H drive.

I can't figure out why my H drive sometimes maps to the Netbios domain name.  It used to map there but there is no place in AD or GPO telling it to do that now.  Also, whenever it does that it also creates a new folder called username.domain and maps to that instead of my true H drive folder called username.

I have published this to the Directory Services category rather than Group Policy because the issue began when the Home Drive was mapped by ADUC Profiles.  Back then the expected behavior was mapping to \\netbiosDomain\Share\username but was mapping to \\netbiosDomain\Share\username.domain instead.

Hopefully someone out there has run into this before.

Hutch

Friday, March 3, 2017 5:03 PM

All replies

• Changing the GPP from update to replace corrects the drive mapping in File Explorer but that's more of a band-aid than a fix.  There is still a username.domain folder created during logon and the homeshare variable is still set to the incorrect path.  

Hutch

Friday, March 3, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Hi Hutch,
    When the incorrect drive appears, are there any events logged in the event viewer?
    According to your description, you deleted the settings of home driver from the profile tab in ADUC, instead of deleting, I would suggest you have a try to set path as the same one for mapping within the group policy: \\domain.com\share\username, then see of it helps.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 6, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Hi Wendy

There are no errors in event viewer.   I currently have GPO and ADUC both configured to map my home drive to \\domain.com\share\username but it insists on mapping to \\netbiosDomain\share\username.domain, except for immediately after reboot.

If I look in the attribute editor of my account in ADUC, I can see the homeDirectory is set correctly.  If I type set in the command window, I can see that the HOMESHARE variable is set to the incorrect path.

Typing set HOMESHARE=\\domain.com\share\username will change the variable but only for the current session.  It reverts back when I log out.  Typing setx HOMESHARE \\domain.com\share\username has no effect.

Hutch

Monday, March 6, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Hi Hutch,
    According to your description, it seems that you have simultaneously set configuration for mapped home drive in three aspects: ADUC, GPO with GPP and template policy “Set user home folder”.
    Not sure if the problem is caused by this, I would suggest that you could have a try to only use group policy preference for mapping home drive and see if it works. You could follow:
    Using Group Policy Preferences (GPP) to map user home drive
    http://www.alexcomputerbubble.com/using-group-policy-preferences-gpp-to-map-user-home-drive/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Hello Wendy

It doesn't matter if I set the Home drive using ADUC, GPO or both.  I will still get it mapped to the wrong path and the HOMESHARE variable is also wrong.  

If I use GPP instead of ADUC/GPO or to correct ADUC/GPO, it maps to the correct path but my HOMESHARE variable will still be incorrect, so that's not a solution.

Also using GPP to change the properties of a mapped drive with Action = Update does not work.  It will create the drive if I haven't already created it with ADUC or GPO but it won't edit the properties.  

Using GPP  to change the properties of a mapped drive with Action = Replace works, but a red X will appear on the drive eventually, even though you can click through it.

Hutch

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hi Hutch,
    Have you configured "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" policy in the group policy and applied it into clients?
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Yes.  That's not the issue.  

Hutch

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Hi Hutch,
    Strange issue, maybe, we could have a try using process monitor/network monitor tool to capture any suspected process which is causing the problem.
    Process Monitor v3.31 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx
    Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=4865
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi Hutch,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:37 AM
  • I am still looking for an answer.  I tried using process monitor and didn't find anything helpful.

Hutch

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Hi Hutch,
    In order for better analysis of monitored log, you could report the logs or the problem to Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get another ideas from the logs: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:28 AM