none
Migrate All exchange mailboxes to office 365 and decomission last exchange server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I already did the migration of all mailboxes to office 365. and now i need to remove the last Exchange server from organization. Does removing last Exchange Server also removes Exchange schema from AD. (since i'm using ADConnect, my source of authority is on-premises, so i need thoose mail attributes.)

How can i backup the Exchange attributes from all users, just in case Exchange deletes something, with the unistall process?

Mike

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I already did the migration of all mailboxes to office 365. and now i need to remove the last Exchange server from organization. Does removing last Exchange Server also removes Exchange schema from AD. (since i'm using ADConnect, my source of authority is on-premises, so i need thoose mail attributes.)

How can i backup the Exchange attributes from all users, just in case Exchange deletes something, with the unistall process?

Mike

Schema objects are not removed. You need to keep  an Exchange Server on prem for mgmt however

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vilath/2015/05/25/office-365-and-dirsync-why-should-you-have-at-least-one-exchange-server-on-premises/

Blog:    Twitter:   

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:05 PM
  • I know that keeping one Exchange server on premises is a best practice. but i'm already using AD advanced attibutes to manage users, because i did the conversion from user mailboxes to mail enabled users. I don't have mailboxes on Exchange anymore.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:33 PM
  • I know that keeping one Exchange server on premises is a best practice. but i'm already using AD advanced attibutes to manage users, because i did the conversion from user mailboxes to mail enabled users. I don't have mailboxes on Exchange anymore.

Thanks

Then leave one server for mgmt. Its not supported to manage those objects any other way.

You are scenario 2 right?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn931280(v=exchg.150).aspx

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:59 PM
  • no, i'm only using ADDConnect (DirSync), no ADFS. and Exchange is 2007 SP1. i did an export/import PST, for each mailbox.

Now i'm only using attributes from AD to manage users. (SMTP, ProxyAddress, etc); in fact i do not use Exchange anymore.

But for precaution, i would like to find a script to export all users attributes related to mail that are synchronized to Office 365, when AADConnect runs, just in case.. 

• Edited by Mike_2017 Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:27 PM
  • no, i'm only using ADDConnect (DirSync), no ADFS. and Exchange is 2007 SP1. i did an export/import PST, for each mailbox.

Now i'm only using attributes from AD to manage users. (SMTP, ProxyAddress, etc); in fact i do not use Exchange anymore.

But for precaution, i would like to find a script to export all users attributes related to mail that are synchronized to Office 365, when AADConnect runs, just in case.. 

scenario 2 applies to AADConnect users as well

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:08 PM
  • Ok, even if i maintain one Exchange on-premises, since all mailboxes will be located in office 365, i will be able to manage mailboxes (create/change from Exchange Management Console)?

With Exchange 2007 isn't possible to create remote mailbox. i think that is possible with Exchange 2010, right?

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Ok, even if i maintain one Exchange on-premises, since all mailboxes will be located in office 365, i will be able to manage mailboxes (create/change from Exchange Management Console)?

With Exchange 2007 isn't possible to create remote mailbox. i think that is possible with Exchange 2010, right?

Yep. Absolutely. You could even prep the forest for 2016 and then install a 2016 Management Server

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can create a remote mailbox in exchange 2010.

Create a Remote Mailbox

New-RemoteMailbox

Besides, configuring and managing Exchange 2013-based hybrid deployments with Exchange 2007 is easier than ever with the latest improvements to the Hybrid Configuration wizard and architectural changes introduced in Microsoft Exchange Server 2013. 

Please refer to the link below to get started and learn more:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn197893(v=exchg.150).aspx

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:32 AM
  • How about the issue?

Best Regards,
    David Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Ok, is possible to add an Exchange 2013 (Free hybrid key), and demote/remove de actual Exchange 2007?

Exchange 2013 will be only used for object management (DL, Mail Enabled Users, etc), it will not have mailboxes.

It's legal, to add Exchange 2013 (Free Hybrid key) and remove all other exchanges?

Since we have Exchange 2007 license i don't have sure about it.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Ok, is possible to add an Exchange 2013 (Free hybrid key), and demote/remove de actual Exchange 2007?

Exchange 2013 will be only used for object management (DL, Mail Enabled Users, etc), it will not have mailboxes.

It's legal, to add Exchange 2013 (Free Hybrid key) and remove all other exchanges?

Since we have Exchange 2007 license i don't have sure about it.

Sure:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2939261/how-to-obtain-an-exchange-hybrid-edition-product-key-for-your-on-premises-exchange-2007-or-exchange-2003-organization

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:51 PM
  • cool, thanks

and imagine if we have license of Exchange 2013, is it also applied? can we stop paying license of Exchange 2013 and CALs,  and use the free license only for manage AD objects?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:49 PM
  • cool, thanks

and imagine if we have license of Exchange 2013, is it also applied? can we stop paying license of Exchange 2013 and CALs,  and use the free license only for manage AD objects?

As long as meet those requirements

• You have an existing, non-trial, Office 365 subscription.
    • You currently do not have a licensed Exchange 2013 or Exchange 2010 SP3 server in your on-premises organization.
    • You will not host any on-premises mailboxes on the Exchange 2013 or Exchange 2010 SP3 server on which you apply the Hybrid Edition product key.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:19 PM
  • so, if we have Exchange 2013 license, this free hybrid key, isn't applied?

we still need to pay for our Exchange 2013 and CALs licenses? Ex: Microsoft OVS? 

That doesn't make sense, if we no longer use Exchange to store mailboxes.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:38 PM
  • so, if we have Exchange 2013 license, this free hybrid key, isn't applied?

we still need to pay for our Exchange 2013 and CALs licenses? Ex: Microsoft OVS? 

That doesn't make sense, if we no longer use Exchange to store mailboxes.

You can use the 2013 license if they are still valid, after its paid for. If the license agreement runs out etc.. then you can use the hybrid

Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:48 PM
  • If the issue is resolved, please also mark some helpful replies as answers.
    If you still have the question, keep updating and post it.

Best Regards,
    David Wang

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:57 AM
  • ok, nice. and what about Hardware Requirements for the Exchange 2013 free hybrid key.

Since Exchange 2013 will be only used for manage objects and CAS service, the requirements should be lower.

Storage: Minimum (no mailboxs onpremises)

vCPU: ??

RAM: ??

Friday, February 17, 2017 12:34 PM
  • ok, nice. and what about Hardware Requirements for the Exchange 2013 free hybrid key.

Since Exchange 2013 will be only used for manage objects and CAS service, the requirements should be lower.

Storage: Minimum (no mailboxs onpremises)

vCPU: ??

RAM: ??

It can be just about anything. Its only used for mgmt

Friday, February 17, 2017 12:46 PM
  • cool, and what about Azure AD connect:

Can Azure AD Connect and Exchange 2013 be installed (coexist) in the same server (VM)?

I know that Microsoft doesn't recommend installing Azure AD Connect on Domain Controllers, but i didn't find nothing related to Exchange.

Friday, February 17, 2017 8:59 PM
  • cool, and what about Azure AD connect:

Can Azure AD Connect and Exchange 2013 be installed (coexist) in the same server (VM)?

I know that Microsoft doesn't recommend installing Azure AD Connect on Domain Controllers, but i didn't find nothing related to Exchange.

Yes, you can do that.

Friday, February 17, 2017 10:25 PM