Close and load from query window (any best practices)? RRS feed

• Question

• I routinely use native SQL against SQL Server. I commonly write a query with a hard coded constraint like an employee identifier (or top 10) so that the query runs fast. Next I'll do all of my formatting in the UI, and perform a close and load to get the data into Excel. Next, I save the file. I then will go back and comment the constraint out so that it runs for the full dataset. PQ will then re-run the query as expected, which may take minutes against a large database. Next, even if I make no additional changes to the query or modify anything with the UI, if I do a close to get the data into Excel, the query re-runs entirely which can take additional minutes. Is there a way to skip that second query execution? Is there a way after modifying a query to tell PQ, not to run the query immediately? What are some best practices to do this efficiently?
    Friday, July 31, 2015 9:08 PM

Answers

• Have you tried clicking Close & Load before the query evaluation is complete? You shouldn't have to wait for it if you don't need to see the results inside the Query Editor.

You can also cancel the query evaluation in the Editor. (Just click the drop arrow next to the "Refresh Preview" button label.)

Ehren

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:21 PM