Cannot access USB hard/flash drives. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to connect a usb thumb drive and get the following problem:  XP recognizes it (I hear the connection sound), it shows up in my computer as removable disk.  when i try to open it, i get an error stating the disk is not formatted.  when i try to format it, it does not work.

Tried 2 other USB flash drives, same problem.

Tried connecting my WD 500gb external HD, doesn't show up at all in my computer, however it is displayed in the Safely remove hardware window.

I connected all of these drives to another computer and they all worked.  One said it needed to be reformatted, and was done successfully.  When connecting them back to the problem computer, same issue occurs.

My wireless mouse (usb receiver) works fine.

I am running XP media center edition on a Dell E1505 notebook.

So far, I've tried uninstalling all the USB devices from device manager (reinstalled on restart), and updated my BIOS.

PLEASE HELP!

Saturday, October 1, 2011 6:03 PM

All replies

• Try formatting one of them with NTFS file system and see if it works.

If you go to computer manager -> Disk Management do you see your usb drives listed?

Open CMD and format the usb drive from command.

Please note that when you format the USB flash drive, you will loose your files in that flash drive.

If NTFS make that work, you may consider converting other drivesfrom fat32 to NTFS  from command prompt. (By default, USB drives come with Fat32 format)

Sunday, October 2, 2011 1:03 AM
  • The only options windows gives me are FAT32, FAT, and exFAT.

The device shows up in Device Manager under Disk Drives.

Tried formatting through CMD and I got an error.  Tried again, got the error, then Blue screen.

The only thing I can recall changing to the computer was Registry edits to fully uninstall a Microsoft Game, and I followed the directions exactly.

Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:25 PM