none
Initial replica contains half data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again!

After beating previous problem I faced another one: trying to restore Windows 7 machine I've found that the system volume backup does not contain all data. I checked older recovery points and found that they have only a cut of data. Then I checked other protection groups (they contain Windows Server 2008 R2 servers) and they are inconsistent too. For example, they do not contain \system32\winload.exe so restored system will not boot.

Am I missing something? Is it bug or feature?

update: I recreated protection group and got the same - initial replica contains less than half of files: system disk for a DC weight is only 9 GB instead of 20+.

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT

Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Bug has been confirmed on new servers: non-domain Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with Hyper-V. Only system volumes are affected, all other were copied successfully.
    Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Has a patch been released to resolve this bug yet?  I'm using the beta of DPM 2012 and I'm experiencing the same problem.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hello, Steve.

As far as I understood from replies in other forum (the same but in my native language), this is not a bug, this is feature. The system folder contains numerous so called "hardlinks" which are not actually files, but links to files that are stored elsewhere. Neither DPM 2010 nor 2012 can handle this and probably will not ever. You might use Bare Metal Recovery instead.

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Just wanted to post an update on this for anyone in the same situation as me...

It is possible to perform a full disaster recovery using the full volume backups and System State Backup from DPM.  It's more complicated and probably not a supported method, but it does work!

1) Using DPM - Restore the full C Drive Volume to a new VMDK or VHD

2) Using DPM - Restore the System State to any location

3) Browse the restored System State folder and you will find a VHD file containing all of the System State files.  You will be able to mount this file in Windows 2008 R2 and merge the files with your Full C Drive restored volume. (Take a copy of this VHD first as you will use the unmounted VHD later)

4) Make the C Drive VMDK/VHD logical drive Active using Disk management

5) Create a new VM using your VMDK/VHD as the boot disk, and add a Windows 2008 R2 ISO image to boot from

6) Boot from the ISO and go into Repair Mode, then type the following commands to rebuild the BCD

bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

7) Reboot....

7 a) If you receive a BSOD at this point with error code "7B", you will need to inject IDE Drivers into the SYSTEM Hive

7 b) If you receive a BSOD at this point with error code "c00002e2 Directory Services could not start", then press F8 during next reboot and choose "Directory Services Repair Mode"

8) Once booted, the OS will not respond normally due the the NTFS permissions being messed up from the merge, so we now need to use wbadmin to perform a proper System State Recovery:

wbadmin get versions -backuptarget:D:

wbadmin start systemstaterecovery -version:dd/mm/yyyy:hh:mm -backuptarget:D:

You should then be able to reboot and have a fully functioning server!! (NB: If you had to inject the IDE drivers earlier, you will need to perform this step again after the SystemStateRecovery)

Hope this helps someone out there!

If you need any further help, please e-mail me: swoodhouse (AT) lincolnitsolutions.co.uk

www.lincolnitsolutions.co.uk

Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:55 AM