none
DPM2010 Restoring OS RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller with DPM 2010 installed.  I installed DPM mainly to protect the SQL Server databases that also run on the server. (I have just one server which everything runs on.) However, it can obviously protect the OS as well and I set up a Protection Group that includes the C drive as well as the System state.

Now, I know you can't do a BMR in this configuration.  So what, then is the restore procedure?  Do I have to reinstall the OS, and then reinstall DPM, and only then use DPM to restore the system to it's original state?

Or should I set up Windows Server Backup using the schedule feature to take care of the OS so I can then just do a direct BMR to restore the OS and DPM, and then use DPM to restore the SQL Server databases?

Greg

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:23 AM

Answers

• Well, I finally came to the conclusion that I should put the OS on it's own drive (including DPM), and then protect it with WSB, and then put my sql server database files on another drive, and then protect that with DPM.

Don't know if that's the best way, but it seems logical to me!

Greg 

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:52 PM

All replies

• Well, I finally came to the conclusion that I should put the OS on it's own drive (including DPM), and then protect it with WSB, and then put my sql server database files on another drive, and then protect that with DPM.

Don't know if that's the best way, but it seems logical to me!

Greg 

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Greg,

Your solution is right. You should also consider Tape/Secondary protection to ensure that you are covered for a full server failure.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:37 AM