Opening Office 2007 file disables Win 7 Aero Thumbnail Preview (Taskbar) feature -- 64-bit system RRS feed

• Question

• Opening any application from Office 2007 SP2 disables the Thumbnail Preview functionality (of running programs) in the taskbar area in my Win 7 64-bit environment.  Instead of the thumbnail picture representation of the open program window and the text box description above it, only the latter is displayed once an Office 2007 is opened. 

I have discovered a workaround (short of rebooting):  Open at least two instance of a program such that there are multiple "boxes" for that particular program in the taskbar area.  Clicking on the "program box cluster" restores the Thumbnail Preview feature (until such time as the Office application is closed and it- or another- is reopened).

Interesting note-- this bug only seems to occur when the Office 2007 app/file is opened from the taskbar ("Pin to Taskbar").  Opening the app/file from the Start Menu does not disable the Thumbnail Preview functionality!

Can others reproduce?  Thoughts regarding a change to a setting(s) to prevent this annoying bug?

Thanks,
    • Edited by mhowie Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:05 PM Add'l. detail
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi

We have seen this behavior, but it has only been documented in Excel 2007, all of the other MSOffice 2007 apps appear to work properly with this function.

Try running the Aero troubleshooter.

Open Control Panel/Troubleshooting.
    Under Appearance and Personalization, select the Display Aero desktop effects.

In the Troubleshooter dialog, click the Advanced link and place a check mark in the Apply Repairs Automatically option.

Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Let us know the results.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:32 AM
  • I ran the troubleshooter as suggested and it came back with "no problem found".

I can confirm that opening any MSOffice 2007 app "pinned to the taskbar" (and opening the app from that taskbar icon vs. opening from the start menu) causes a situation where the Thumbnail Taskbar Preview feature is disabled unless the workaround I provided is utilized or a reboot is performed.

Thanks,
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:57 PM