none
Project Server Error Event ID 6971 when upgrading from Project Server 2007 to 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I get the following error when trying to import a project server site from PS 2007 to PS 2010.  The error occurs after the provisioning is completed.  The initial error with event id 7381 is:

"ProjectSite post provision setup completed with errors"

This error is followed by Event Id 6971 and the following error text.  I checked the site and I do see the sub sites under the main project server site, but the actual PWA site is not created and integrated with the project server components.  The database upgrade of all the 4 Project Server databases went through ok.  I am not sure how to fix this problem.  Any help that you guys can provide is great appreciated.

Failed to provision site "Testsite "with error: Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProvisionException: Membership synchronization failed. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitWebPublic()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Language()
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.SharePointSecurityHelper.DeleteRoles(SPWeb web)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.SharePointSecurityHelper.ConfigureDefaultPWAWSSSecurityModel(SPSite topSite, SPWeb web)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.<>c__DisplayClass18.<QueueUpdateUsersAddRemoveStatusOnPwaRootsAndWorkspaces>b__17()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.QueueUpdateUsersAddRemoveStatusOnPwaRootsAndWorkspaces(Dictionary`2 deletedUserUidsLoginNames, Guid[] addedUserUids, Boolean isFullSync, Boolean syncWorkspaces)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.SynchronizeMembershipForPwaAppRootSite()
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.SynchronizePwaMembership(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, ProjectSite projectSite)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.SynchronizePwaMembership(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, ProjectSite projectSite)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset)

Thanks,

Anand.

Friday, August 31, 2012 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Anand,

Did you provision PWA site using 4 project databases and content database associated with PWA web application from 2007 farm to 2010 farm?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Hi Hrishi, 

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I did bring over the WSS_content DB for the PWA site and the 4 core Project Server databases that went with the old PWA site in PS 2007.  The upgrade process of the core databases completed fine with no errors.  The error only occurs after the upgrade of DBs is completed.  It says that it is a post upgrade error.

Thanks,

Anand.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 1:46 AM
  • Hello Anand,

Could you please run the following query on the Published database?

select res_type from msp_resources where wres_account like 'Enter your PWA admin account here'

Please let us know if the res_type is 102.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

We have a new domain account in for the SP 2010 farm where I am migrating the Project Server 2007 content to.  I ran the query against the published database for the given account and it came back as 2 instead of 102.  I also ran the query for the old user account that was used in the PS 2007 environment and the res_type was the same 2 even for that account. 

Please let me know if this is the wrong setting and how to change it.  Will that fix the problem?

Thanks,

Anand.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Hi Anand,

If its new domain, then make sure that you have configured service accounts on database properly. In SQL server add service account using Security on root. not from Database>>Security

To make sure you can also try to provision another test PWA instance using same accounts and delete later

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:58 AM
  • Hi Hrishi, 

The account used to run PWA and SP 2010 is new, but not the domain.  I did ensure that I added the account as DBO right after I restored the databases from the old SP 2007 farm.  I did that from the security tab as you have said.  So, I am stumped as to why the membership synchronization would fail.  Do I have to do some other step before I setup the PWA instance via the Central Admin ?  Please advise.

Thank you very much for your lightning fast reply.  I really appreciate it.  

FYI - I found out that your company is really close to my home ( I live in Sugar Land, TX !!)

Thanks,

Anand.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Hi Hrishi,

Is there any documentation from Microsoft that talks about the Membership Synchronization in detail ? I am trying to find out the exact steps that happen so that I can troubleshoot this process.  Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Anand.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Hi Anand,

I assume you are trying to build test farm for 2007 to 2010.

Are you using SQL server and Project Server on the same box? Since you are using non domain account we may need to understand your new environment a bit

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

I am sorry about the confusion.  I am not using a local account.  It is still a domain account but a new one that was created to be used in the new Farm.  All the servers (both old farm and new farm) are on same domain.

This is the new farm topology:

1 Database server

2 Application Servers  - one of them is used to run the Project Service Application and its components.

1 WFE Server  - where the PWA site is set to run.

The main requirement is to maintain the same setting as before.  The old Project Server farm was set to run from a subsite called /projectmgmt

The error only happens when I try to setup the new PWA site using that same url settings.

It works fine if I use any other url like /pwa.  But, we can't use that as none of the sub sites for all the projects would exist if I use a different url.

We want to be able to keep the same setting as before using the /projectmgmt url with all the sub sites and the same permissions.

Thanks for your help,

Anand.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hi Anand,

Thanks for the info.

Basic rule for DB attach method is, we should not change Project Web Application site collection name. E.g of old site was /PWA , when we move databases from one farm to another site should be provisioned as /PWA.  Brian Smith's excellent blog article can help you to understand common issues

As per the error message posted earlier, looks like you are trying to provision PWA site as “Testsite”

Correct me if I am wrong

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2011/02/07/project-server-2010-common-project-web-app-pwa-provisioning-problems.aspx

Verify that you are not using one of the reserved outline code or custom field

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662500.aspx

Custom field and lookup table name conflicts

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Also check site collection administrators in 2007 farm on /projectmgmt

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

To answer your question - I didn't change the site collection name when I tried to perform the upgrade.  The old site collection name was /projectmgmt and I tried to keep the same site collection name when provisioning the site in the new Farm and that is when it keeps failing and gives the same error with membership sync.

I have tried to delete the entire set of databases and the content db twice to create the site collection with same name as before and it always fails with the same error.  I checked the SCA on the old farm and the new SP Farm Admin account is already part of it as I added that account before I started the upgrade.

Thanks,

Anand.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Could you please check ULS log?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:59 PM
  • I would have redo the entire step to check the ULS log as I attempted this last Friday. 

I will do it when I get a chance and send you the details. Let me know if there is a way that I can send you the error log by email.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:07 PM
  • You don’t have to perform all the steps

• Click retry option on failed PWA provisioning page
      • Once provisioning is failed, navigate to log folder
      • Click on data modified column twice , so that latest log file will be displayed on the top
      • Open latest log file and scroll down to bottom of the log file
      • Search for the keyword "Provisioning" in upward direction
      • Also in event log 4 logs related provisioning will be recorded, paste those error messages here.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Hi Anand,

Are you still facing the issue?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Hi Hrishi, 

I didn't get a chance to work on that issue today.  I will be looking into it tomorrow and will update you on the status of the same.

Thanks,

Anand.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Hi Anand,

I am suspecting issue might be due  the conflict with the existing /projectmgmt(orphaned) instance

Check the configuration database using following query and let us know the result.

select siteid from wss_content.dbo.webs where fullurl='projectmgmt'
    select * from objects where name='site ID'

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, September 7, 2012 3:23 AM
  • Hi Hrishi, 

I don't have the issue anymore and was able to provision the site without any problems.  the users are able to use the new Project Server 2010 site now.

Thanks for your help!

Anand.

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for the upate Anand.

Any idea how issue was resolved?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

when i run the below mentioned sql querry against the published database it return nothing, not know why ?

select res_type from msp_resources where wres_account like 'Enter your PWA admin account here'

output: nothing,

The porvision of the PWA is not successful.I am migrating PS2007 to 2010, the provision is failed but i can open PWA site but no old data has been shown. Any idea would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Kashif

Kashif Saeed

Sunday, March 15, 2015 3:07 PM
  • I used to own this feature when I was at Microsoft. The Post Provisioning process performed 10 actions, if I recall, including provisioning out of box custom fields, setting up the BI Center, provisioning the out of box reports, etc. If you simply ran site provisioning again, post provisioning was designed to pick up where it left off the time before. Most of the time, the second run would fix what ever transient issue caused the failure the first time.

As for the data issue, when you provisioned PWA, did you enter the exact database names that were restored? If not, provisioning will create new databases.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | YouTube Channel

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:12 AM
  • Thanks Treb, yeah in the second attempt provisioning failed with errors but i can browse my pwa instance. But i can not see the content i.e site and workspaces not shown, bulk update project site not updating, queue is in waiting for processing like errors. when i start the pwa provisioning i got error "An error has occured, Lookup table Sample Primary Objectives will not be created, Lookup table Sample Area Impacted will not be created etc.

Lookup Table and Custom Files ErrorsI am migrating project server 2007 to 2010 and the above lookup table and custom fields errors are in project server 2010 which is not setup yet, how can i remove these i did not understand,

Please see the screenshot and advise.

Regards

Kashif Saeed

Kashif Saeed

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:15 PM
  • Hi Hirishi, I am using database attach full upgrade path to migrate project server 2007 to 2010 and the below error screenshot is not making it successful. your advise is required in sorting this out.Lookup Table and custom fields error

I have checked these custom fields are not in my existing environment and i have not successfully setup project server 2010 environment, then how can i remove these fields.

Regards

Kashif

Kashif Saeed

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:19 PM