Adding another 1Gb memory lowers my performance rating? RRS feed

• Question

• Just added another stick of 1 GB ram to my computer, previous had 1GB.  I also previously had a rating of 3.1 under the memory tab of the performace rating, now it's dropped to 2.8 which has lowered my overall rating from 3 to 2.  Pretty sure it was the same speed DDR, so what's up?
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 8:57 PM

All replies

• Not really sure what to tell you, but I can let you know that my setup is a Dell XPS 400 (Pentium D 2.8, 2GB DDR2), my rating on the memory is 4.4, so I would say there is something conflicting with your ratings!.
    Monday, July 3, 2006 10:45 AM
  • Rerun you perofrmance rating.
    You may also have a problem with mixed memory.  Sometimes memory that comes from different lots, have different memory errors.

Monday, July 3, 2006 7:25 PM
  • Did you have dual channel memory with two 512 MB sticks originally?

If you added a 1GB stick to two 512MB's you'd break the dual channel memory access and your memory access would get a lot slower.

If this is the case, you'd need to chuck the 512MB's and get another 1GB stick just like the one you just purchased.  (Or remove the 1GB stick and add two 512MB's).  On most motherboards your DIMMS need to match for best performance.

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 5:11 AM