none
DPM2012 - Bare Metal Restore from Boot CD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we use Acronis right now and maybe we want to switch to DPM 2012.

If a server does not boot anymore, I can use the acronis boot cd, type in the name of the backup share path, done.
    Also if the hardware would fail, acronis universal restore can do the restore on different hardware.

Are those things also possible with DPM2012? How is the procedure?

Thanks!

Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

From DPM point of view, The only requirement is that the physical recovery target machine should have at least same/more disk resources (in number of disks as well as in their sizes) and  have same CPU type as the backed-up server.

In real life, it's means that you have to restore it to the same server model. (You may need to manually add a driver to make it work / or avoid BSOD)

Trying on dissimilar hardware may work in certain scenarii but in my experience, it should not be trusted unless you test first.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

thanks! Can you tell me about the procedure of restoring a server when it's not booting into windows, please?

Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

What do you mean by "when it's not booting into windows" ?

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:00 AM
  • OK,

let's asume you have a 2008r2 server that fails.
    You are not able to boot into windows because of a bluescreen,
    missing files or something else.

How do you restore this server? What are the exact steps?

With Acronis you would boot from usb or boot cd, select the backup image and hit restore.

Thanks!

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:14 AM