Cross Domain Migration from 2003 to 2010 - AD questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I’m doing a bit of a strange cross domain migration over the next week and have some questions around mail routing.

Our old Exchange 2003 box is externally hosted and due to some payment issues we need to move all the mailboxes off it asap, my intention is to ex-merge the mail off the exchange box into pst’s then dismount the mail store, then change the MX records.

Because the new domain isn’t fully ready we can’t migrate the users so instead I’ll be bulk creating linked mailboxes in Exchange 2010 and linking them to their AD accounts in the old domain, then importing their mail from pst’s.

Lastly I’ll be creating new Outlook profiles for users to point at their linked mailboxes.

Fine and dandy, all of the above I can accomplish without a problem.

My question is what do I do next??

Will I need to remove the exchange attributes for users in AD so that mail doesn’t try and route to it?   I’m worrying that LDAP queries and old mail will look for the old exchange box instead of the new one and as such mail wont route properly?

Is there possibly something I can do in DNS to ensure mail is routed properly?? Or possibly remove the Exchange 2003 from the schema?

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks

Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Citizen0100,

For question 1, in my opinion, there are some issues when you reply the sender from the older email, due to the old legacyexchangedn, you could make some tests.
    For question 2, and I also confused about "I guess after I have manually removed the exchange features from users in the old AD I can manually add smtp addresses to solve this issue."
    In my opinion, for the older mailbox, you could disconnect it, and because the account in the old forest have the linked mailbox in the new forest, why do you want to manually add smtp address.
    What issue do you want to solve?
    Sorry for the question, if I understand you more clearly, then I could give you more help.

Regards!

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Gavin-Zhang Friday, December 16, 2011 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Citizen,

Per your description, you have the account have two mailboxes in the different forests, and the two mailbox have the same smtp address.
    In my opinion, due to you have changed the MX to point the new exchange server in the new forest, so, the email would be sent to the new mailbox.
    As we know, we could move the mailboxes cross the forests, you could follow below:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx
    As you have already move the mailbox items through pst, so, you could delete the old exchange system, and then move the account to the new forest, and then connect the mailboxes to them. This method maybe not better, you know, you must connect them one by one, or use some script.

Regards!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Hi Citizen ,

you could follow below link of more info.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

Thanks

Vino

Thanks Vino ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Friday, December 9, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately the business doesn't want us to move the AD accounts for now which means I'm stuck with linked mailboxes until Feb time so I think your right and I should be able to delete the old exchange box.  Do you think I'll have any problems with LDAP lookups as effectively users wont have a SMTP attached to their ad account?
    Friday, December 9, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Hi Citizen0100,

I am sorry that I am a little confused about "Do you think I'll have any problems with LDAP lookups as effectively users wont have a SMTP attached to their ad account?".
    Could you please decrible it more clearly?
    Do you mean that whether you could use LDAP tool to lookup the ad account, if the ad account have not connected to the mailbox in exchange 2010 ORG?
    If so, in my opinion, there is no problem.

Regards!
    Gavin

Gavin

Monday, December 12, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry, I'm not being very clear on this....I think I've been looking at this for too long and have overly complicated it!

Having gone away and come back I think your correct and I shouldn't have a issue.

Basically what I was worried about was:

a) if user A had an old email from user B, could they reply to the email as affectively both users are now on different exchange severs? I'm presuming the answer is yes as Outlook should do a fresh lookup on user B via the GAL??

b) The LDAP lookups were more down to applications like scanners or such that query AD for email addresses to know where to send files etc.  I guess after I have manually removed the exchange features from users in the old AD I can manually add smtp addresses to solve this issue.

Hope this makes more sense?

Monday, December 12, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hi Citizen0100,

For question 1, in my opinion, there are some issues when you reply the sender from the older email, due to the old legacyexchangedn, you could make some tests.
    For question 2, and I also confused about "I guess after I have manually removed the exchange features from users in the old AD I can manually add smtp addresses to solve this issue."
    In my opinion, for the older mailbox, you could disconnect it, and because the account in the old forest have the linked mailbox in the new forest, why do you want to manually add smtp address.
    What issue do you want to solve?
    Sorry for the question, if I understand you more clearly, then I could give you more help.

Regards!

Gavin

• Edited by Gavin-Zhang Friday, December 16, 2011 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi Citizen,

Any update for your issue?

Regards!

Gavin

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Hi Citizen,

Do you get some information from my reply, I could close the thread, you will be free to reopen the thread.

Regards!

Gavin

Monday, December 19, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Sorry I didn't reply to your helpful advise, just for your (and anyone else) info:

I removed the old exchange 2003 environment,

Users email addresses remained in their original AD accounts, allowing all LDAP queries and emails via the old domain (i.e. when you send an email directly via SMTP and not exchange) to happily route.

The only thing I need to do is update new users accounts with an email address.

Thanks

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:50 AM