Microsoft Word stopped working when open a word file (in word) from SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• It was working ... but today when I click open a word document in SharePoint 2010, it first opened in browser, I clicked "Open in Word" or uses dropdown menu >Edit in Word.    An error message appeared and the application crashed.

I have "repaired" MS office via control panel and rebooted the computer but problem remains. Any idea? tips?

I verified this works in other user's machine. Also open a word document in desktop works, issue only happens when opening from SharePoint, on my machine.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2010, still get the same error.

• Edited by QuickLaunch Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi QuickLaunch,

I guess you can overcome this problem by enabling the WebClient Service in Window services (services.msc).

To install this feature:

1. Go to Server Manager
    2. Right click on Features node in the tree view
    3. Select Add Feature
    4. Select Desktop Experience
    5. Click Next on the next screens and finally click Install.
    6. Reboot computer.
    7. Open up Window Services and check the WebClient service is available, enabled and started.
    give it a try now.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:58 AM
  • Hi QuickLaunch,

From your description, your Word stops working when you open a file from SharePoint.

Do you have any COM Add-ins in your word? If so, it can be caused by compatibility issues of Add-ins. Please check using the following steps:

l  Open Microsoft Word, click on File menu > Options > Add-ins > Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.

l  Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox to disable them.

l  Close the Word program and try again to see if the issue still exists.

l  Then enable each add-in one at a time and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

If the issue is still existing, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 7:09 AM
  • I already disabled COM add-ins in Word, the problem remains
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:55 PM
  • WebClient is not started on my computer, Started, but the problem remains
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Hi QuickLaunch,

Did you install October 2015 update (KB3055034) for Office 2010?

If yes, please uninstall it and then check if the issue still occurs.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1236093-kb3055034-breaks-opening-office-files-directly-from-sharepoint

Thanks,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:47 AM