Installing software from a network share. RRS feed

• Question

• Having the same issue described here in the vista forum . 

I have mapped a drive (X:\ ) to the share and try to run the workstation setup and it comes back with the error "The workstation setup has been run from an invalid path

the workstation setup must be run from drive and path in a valid MS-DOS 8.3 filename format (e.g. X:\excheqr\...)"

------------

I have mapped the network drive ,  using windows "map network drive"  and the net use command 

on a variety of computers and it fails each time. I can install it on our windows 7 machines but we are migrating to windows 10 .. 

Suggestions would be appreciated. 

oh and cant paste in, in its correct format ,  the net use x: \ \ server \ share   but the format is correct here :)

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research,  by default, 8.3 compatibility is not enabled on Windows 8.x or 10. Enabling support will not retroactively make folders pre-existing become 8.3 compatible.

Launch CMD as an administrator, this enables 8.3 filenames on all partitions on your system:

fsutil 8dot3name set 0

For your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/ff621566(v=ws.11)

Hope this can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 29, 2019 6:05 AM