Display and Storing Sensitive Information RRS feed

• Question

• In an effort to eliminate paper forms, I client of ours would like to store sensitive information within SharePoint. I am aware of ways to help protect that data such as using and SSL, the correct rights on accounts, encrypting the database on the SQL server, etc, are there any other recommendations to help secure this information? Is it even a good idea to use SharePoint to secure this type of data? Is there anything already built into SharePoint that would help us secure this data? Thanks.

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:48 PM

Answers

• > Is there anything already built into SharePoint that would help us secure this data?

I'd say Out of the box, SharePoint has solid user management system. You can assign different permissions to different group of users based on your requirement. You can even create your own permission level if the existing permission level doesn't meet your requirement (for example, allow users to enter data but not delete any, etc.). What version of SharePoint will you be working with?

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

In addition to Parvez reply, If you have sensitive document then sharepoint provides IRM (Information right management) to secure your files in sharepoint.(i.e. restrict download, print etc).

You also need to mention sharepoint version 2007/2010/2013?

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:37 AM

All replies

• > Is there anything already built into SharePoint that would help us secure this data?

I'd say Out of the box, SharePoint has solid user management system. You can assign different permissions to different group of users based on your requirement. You can even create your own permission level if the existing permission level doesn't meet your requirement (for example, allow users to enter data but not delete any, etc.). What version of SharePoint will you be working with?

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

In addition to Parvez reply, If you have sensitive document then sharepoint provides IRM (Information right management) to secure your files in sharepoint.(i.e. restrict download, print etc).

You also need to mention sharepoint version 2007/2010/2013?

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Thanks for the replies - we are working with Sharepoint 2007.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:30 PM