Error 1324. The path ? WINDOWS contains an invalid chararcter RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting this error message when trying to install Quickbooks 2011-12 on clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1x64 on upgraded Desktop PC. Having program running on old PC & would have installed same on Windows 7 pre SP1.

Have successfully installed Quickbooks on new desktop when running Windows 8.1 & Windows 10. Had trouble setting up Network Bridge on Win 8.1, upgraded to Win 10, then went back to Win 7 due to total lack of control on downloading Windows updates- I am on metered B/band wireless with 10GB/mth.

I have a reasonable knowledge of computers but I am no expert. Have tried various possible solutions gleaned online & have seen references to similar problems on this site, seems to be a problem with something in Win 7 SP1 ?

Any suggestion to possible solution would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, February 19, 2017 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi sunlover01,

According to my research, the error message is usually related to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal

Please verify the path for “Personal” in registry matches the path of the Documents folder in your user account.
    If not, change the path of the “Personal” to matches the Documents folder.

You could refer to the following link for detailed information:

During the Installation process I receive: Error 1324: The Folder Path Contains an Invalid Character

https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/203733598-Jing-Windows-During-the-Installation-process-I-receive-Error-1324-The-Folder-Path-Contains-an-Invalid-Character

There is no doubt the issue is caused by the path. We could try to install the application to another location. Try to install with different administrator account and run the installer with administrator permission.
    I am not sure whether there is an installation log for the application. You could try to ask for help from the third party support. They are more familiar with their product and they may have more resources to help you.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 20, 2017 10:24 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:58 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 10:21 AM