none
Missing GPO settings after migrating to Central Store

Question

• Hey everyone,

Setup: 2 New Server 2016 Core DC's, 1 Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB w/ latest RSAT.

On Core DC: Robocopy /MIR /XJ %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions %systemroot%\sysvol\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions

Now when I run MMC and load the GPM snap-in, edit a GPO I see under the Admin Templates, it states grabbing admx files from the central store.

After making said change I noticed the settings to change the windows Store items are no longer available...

Computer -> Policies -> Admin templates -> Windows Components -> Store

I even copied the latest Windows 10 ADMX files (ver 1607) into my central store. Yet the location specified is still not available unless I remove the central store completely and have the snap-in use the DC's local store.

Sigh, what did I miss this time?

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:44 PM

Answers

• Short Answer to this question is copy a Windows 10 local store (C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions) into the Central Store (\\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions). Not a Server 2016's local store, or the Windows 10 ADMX files provided from MS website.

Which I feel should include that admx file.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:39 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:39 PM

All replies

• Turns out Semt-X on IRC Freenod #Windows-Server. Provided great help and turns out the WindowsStore.admx file for some reason wasn't transferred over.

Not exactly sure why robo copy missed a couple of files, but I now know what happened. :) I'll report my findings.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:00 PM
  • So sure enough it was a mix of PEBKAC and MS oddities.

Turns out the first was the PEBKAC on WHICH local store was being used, as I was presuming the use of the local store was using the directory of (C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions) of the DC. When it's using that directory of the client OS that's running the snap-in! In this case my Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (1607).

Checking the "local store" of my Core Domain Controllers, sure enough WindowsStore.admx does not exist!

Further more, checking the admx files supplied by the latest Windows 10 ADMX msi file, sure enough WindowsStore.admx is NOT in there either.

So basically copy the Core DC's local store, and copying the latest Windows 10 ADMX files would never give me the option for those settings since the central store never got a copy of WindowsStore.admx

I ended up copying my Windows 10 machines local store (C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions) overwriting files in the central store. I was then finally able to see this setting to be set using the central store.

Question now is, why does the latest Windows ADMX msi installer, not contain WindowsStore.admx?

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi,
    It seems that WinStore.admx/adml are missing from the latest template download. However, the settings are the same as the Windows 7/8, we could get the missing files from their download.
    If you want a formal response why it is not including in the download of windows 10, in my opinion, you could have a try to raise a support case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information from product team regarding this change: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support
    Here is a similar thread which discussed the topic, you could refer to:
    Windows 10 Enterprise - Disable store feature
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9514c7a6-991b-48b0-95ab-33edfc029c52/windows-10-enterprise-disable-store-feature?forum=win10itprogeneral
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 1, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reference link Wendy. I'm starting to get rather annoyed at some of MS's design choices as of late.

Moving the ALT+CTRL+DEL location with no option to return it to the center (AS Windows 7 had it)

The removal of applicable GPO's for Windows 10 Pro in ver 1607.

Other Lock Screen bugs for ver 1607.

More ADMX store issues. 

I mean the bugs found here I feel should have easily been identified by MS QA. I discovered these by simply setting up and testing a brand new domain setup from scratch, no migrations or anything, using all the latest builds of Server 2016 and Windows 10 (Testing all versions) and to be honest the ver template that was supposed to be made easier... has become a MESS... Just look at this wiki page with the matrix that doesn't even include N version comparisons..

I really hope MS follows these Technet Posts, cause listen up (Calm down on the new features, and start releases bug fixes!) you want to implement new features, have them ready for the next version of windows!

OK finally got that all out..

Thursday, December 1, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for summarizing so detail information to us, and I do understand that the scenario might be inconvenient and we will take your feedback as customer wish to update the realted team.
    Appreciate for your understanding.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 5, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Short Answer to this question is copy a Windows 10 local store (C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions) into the Central Store (\\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions). Not a Server 2016's local store, or the Windows 10 ADMX files provided from MS website.

Which I feel should include that admx file.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:39 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Hi,
    Appreciate for your share and it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Best regards,
    Wendy

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:55 AM