What steps do I need to take to replace the name of the database server with an alias to that server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am preparing for a move from one sql server version to another.

Right now, my small farm has the true server name configured into it.

I want to change that to a SQL Server alias to the server.

It is my understanding that if I do that, then, when it becomes time to move the server, all that needs to be done is to bring the farm down, back up all of the databases of the farm, copy all the backups to the new server, attach the databases to the new server, update the SQL Server alias to point to the new database, and bring the farm back up.

1. Am I reading the microsoft "move all databases" document correctly - that the above steps is all that is needed?

2. What needs to be done to change the farm now so that instead of pointing to the SQL server, the farm uses the sql server alias that I created?

Thank you! 

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:38 PM

All replies

• You set the SQL alias in "CLICONFG.EXE" on SHarePoint server.

Copy/move DBs and SQL users and permissions, add you alias and now you are using the new SQL, just remember you are using an alias, SharEPoint will still think its using the old SQL - so if you want to use SQL without alias you just setup SQL again on old SQL and move/copy again and deleting aliad.

You dont even have to have downtime, just make SharEPoint readonly when copying DBs.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:32 AM
  • I am not trying to actually "move" the databases. The alias that I created points to the database and instance that I have installed sp 2007 on. I just want to reconfigure the farm so that it is using the alias.

So, the farm right now points to sql001\d001 . I created my alias to point to sql001\d001 . Can I just rerun the config wizard, specify the alias, and run it to completion so that the farm is now using the alias?

Thank you for your willingness to discuss this

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:58 PM
  • I can see in the other thread you got it.

You cant change the hostname on the SQL you used to setup up teh farm on (configdb), if you want to do that for some reason you would need to install farm on new SQL.

So you are LOCKED with SQL hostname or instance you used upon config.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Just to be certain we are saying the same thing.

What I was wanting to do is change the farm's configuration so that it uses a sql server alias (that points for the exact same server that the farm is using right now).

I am not trying to perform some action on the sql server machine to change that machine's name.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:34 PM
  • You dont change the configuration, you just set an ALIAS.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:02 AM
  • I have created an alias - but how do I get SharePoint to use the alias?
    Monday, March 4, 2013 6:17 PM