none
Break Link in Resource Pool Does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have created a resource pool to share my resources across a number of project files. Halfway, I renamed the project file name to a more appropriate one. When I checked the links my resource pool was sharing it had links to both the old file name and the new one which is quite absurd. I tried breaking the link to the one containing the old file name and it does not work. 

Anyone has any clue as to what could be the problem?

Cheers!

Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:50 AM

All replies

• Yeah. The link technology is called DDE and it is old and prone to file corruption if you rename. move, overwrite your file or operate over a wide area network.It's when not if. The only safe way to rename a linked file is to break the link, save both files. Then rename the file and reconnect.

I recommend you break the link between all files and the resource pool, saving them all in the process. Then delete the resource pool. Then either:

1. Recreate the pool or
    2. Create temporary consolidated files (Project, Insert Project ) but with the link option OFF. This consolidates the files and the resources. So if you only need  a resource pool for reporting purposes then this option is corruption proof.
      Record a macro to make re-creating the master file quick and easy (record File, New as first instruction!).

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:12 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:36 AM