Windows 7 and opening photos very slow with Photo Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• We have Windows 7 64-bit computers running on a windows domain.

A few weeks ago the users could open up a directory on the network and view their photos there in Windows Photo Viewer and they could move from one picture to the next with no delay in opening up the image.

After what I am guessing was a windows update that occurred a few weeks ago, now when the user opens a image, it takes 5 to 10 seconds to open the image.

I have read all of the fixes for color management and applied them ( 1) delete any calibrated or default profiles, 2) edit the registry to set cache to "0" for photo viewer, 3) uncheck "Use Windows display calibration, 4) reinstall the video driver, 5) added the user to the local admin group. ) Those are what I remember off the top of my head and other things I have tried.

I do have a workaround, but it only works if the user does not logoff or restart the computer.

*** Workaround,  Step 1) while the user is logged in and viewing images is painfully slow, switch users and login as a domain administrator (or someone with domain admin rights).  Step 2) verify browsing the images in Photo viewer is not slow and running correctly, Step 3) open color management, goto the "Advanded" tab, click on "Change system defaults", Step 4) I click on each of the tabs without changing a single setting on any of them, click "Close" on the last tab.  Step 5) I switch users, go back to the account that was having the problem and miraculously the images load in no time and load as fast as you can press the arrow button to browse to the next image.

The workaround works great until the user logs off, the computer is restarted.

I have tried saving the color profile from the account that can view the images with no issue and then loading that profile in the user account that is slow viewing images but this has not worked.  

*** If the user that is logged in is having issues and I switch users to an admin account, verify viewing images is working normally and then switch back to the user account that is slow and open Color Management and select "Change system defaults", then switch back to the admin account that was working, now the images are slow to view for the admin account.

Also, if the images are copied to the local drive or read from a usb drive, there is no delay in loading the images.

Have not been able to find a solution as of yet and was hoping for any feedback regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance!!

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hello KPC,

This is happening for multiple people, on multiple computers?  If so, then I would think something got installed/changed/cached that is affecting Windows Photo Viewer, or potentially something is wrong with the server where the photos are stored (have you looked at and/or rebooted the server?)

I'm not a Windows Photo Viewer expert, but just to try and narrow this problem down, can you try opening the photos with IrfanView?  It's a free photo viewer, and you can "arrow" through the photos, just like you do with Windows Photo Viewer.  If it's working fine with Irfanview, then we'll know it's something specific to Windows Photo Viewer, and can go from there.

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Hi k.p.c,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that what is the format of you photos? Does this occur with all kinds of pictures?

As I know, the performance of photo viewer can be related to picture size, memory usage and CacheSize of photo viewer.

To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. View other pictures including different formats and different sizes and see if the performance is the same.

2. Use other picture viewer application to view these pictures and note its performance.

3. Generally, this behavior can be caused by precaching in Windows Live Photo Gallery too. Precacheing can cause lots of system resources to be used.

In addition, there are several methods we may try, please refer to the link:

[Fix] Windows Photo Viewer Takes Too Much Time in Opening Images:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-photo-viewer-takes-too-much-time-in-opening-image-files/

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hello KPC,

This is happening for multiple people, on multiple computers?  If so, then I would think something got installed/changed/cached that is affecting Windows Photo Viewer, or potentially something is wrong with the server where the photos are stored (have you looked at and/or rebooted the server?)

I'm not a Windows Photo Viewer expert, but just to try and narrow this problem down, can you try opening the photos with IrfanView?  It's a free photo viewer, and you can "arrow" through the photos, just like you do with Windows Photo Viewer.  If it's working fine with Irfanview, then we'll know it's something specific to Windows Photo Viewer, and can go from there.

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Hi k.p.c,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that what is the format of you photos? Does this occur with all kinds of pictures?

As I know, the performance of photo viewer can be related to picture size, memory usage and CacheSize of photo viewer.

To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. View other pictures including different formats and different sizes and see if the performance is the same.

2. Use other picture viewer application to view these pictures and note its performance.

3. Generally, this behavior can be caused by precaching in Windows Live Photo Gallery too. Precacheing can cause lots of system resources to be used.

In addition, there are several methods we may try, please refer to the link:

[Fix] Windows Photo Viewer Takes Too Much Time in Opening Images:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-photo-viewer-takes-too-much-time-in-opening-image-files/

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:41 AM