Creating a software installation account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have Vista x64 Ultimate.  I would like to create a user to install software.  I want my girlfriend to be able to install software on the machine, without giving her full administrator access.  However, I do NOT want to give her regular account access to install software.

I would like this user (named 'Install') to be denied access to log in, or do ANYTHING.  I want to right click, run as different user (I installed a tool to allow this), and install software using this account.  The only thing it should be allowed to do is install software.

How do I do this?
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The part about denying access locally can be done, but allowing her to install software without being part of the admin group is virtually impossible. The way Windows is designed, only administrators have the necessary rights to install software. If you want a regular user to do that you need to consider giving him permissions to the registry keys, certain folders where the installer might have to write or read. Even if you do manage to modify the permissions it is highly unrecommended and you will probably be in the same situation as if she was admin.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:49 AM