The file for this update failed to download RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am facing issue with WSUS server 2012 R2 as it's failing to download update.

I have retry many time to download but still the same.

Event viewer Reason: CRC verification failure.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:40 AM

All replies

• (Get-WsusServer).CancelAllDownloads()

Then expose the supersedence icon in the All Updates view.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-2-computer-groups-update-views/

Then scope the all updates view to show all updates with any status and find the update that has not yet downloaded and DECLINE it. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

Run through the needed updates and re-approve it.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-6-selecting-your-test-systems-the-approvals-process/

It should download properly now. You can monitor it by clicking on the Server name on the left and monitor the download area.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Most likely because the copy of the update file on the WSUS server is corrupted, or the proxy server between the client and the WSUS server cached the corrupted copy. Please refer to the following steps to fix:

1. Go to the All Updates node. In the filter bar across the top, select the dropdown for Approval and set it to "Approved". Right click on the column header bar and enable the "File Status" column.
    2. Click on the "File Status" column header to sort the list by "File Status". There are three types of icons in this list: Files Not Downloaded, Ready for Installation, and some status that reflects Pending Download. Look at the group that includes those updates that are "Pending Download". 
    3. Mark the update as "Not Approved". For each update in the list, select the update, right click, select "File Information" from the context menu.
    4. Locate the file shown and manually delete the update file using Windows Explorer or a command prompt.
    5. Flush the proxy cache between the WSUS Server and the Internet (if one exists).
    6. On the affected computer, run the following Powershell script:
      > (new-object -Comobject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).Detectnow()
    7. Purge the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder of the content related to this file.
    8. Mark the update as "Approved" on the WSUS Server.
    9. Run 'wsusutil reset' in command prompt on the WSUS Server to initiate a fresh download of the file for this update.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:02 AM
  • I noticed that whenever I am retrying download failed update "windows update" service is getting stopped after sometime.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 11:28 AM
  • I noticed that whenever I am retrying download failed update "windows update" service is getting stopped after sometime.

Windows update service is "Manual(Trigger Start)" by default.
    Since the windows update service will be triggered automatically, we have no need to start it manually.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Above solution didn't work.

Any one who can help to resolve the issue. 

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Did you try mine or Yic's? Which one doesn't work (or both)?

What update fails to download? is it just 1? What's the KB? Decline that update and move forward. Do all of the other updates download fine?

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:29 PM