Selectively printing a letterhead in Word RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to choose whether or not Word prints the Header containing the letterhead?  Sometimes I want to turn off the header when printing on my preprinted stationary. But normally, I want it displayed when printing to plain paper or creating a PDF.

The only way I've found is to use Page Layout --> Selection Pane, then click the eye icon next to each individual element you want to remove.  The reason this isn't a good solution is because Word removes the picture from the document instead of just making it invisible.  Thus, once you hide the graphics the document text moves into the empty space (where the pre-printed letterhead will be), changing the format of the document. I have to put an invisible rectangle shape behind the header elements and wrap text above and below it to keep the spacing intact.  Thus, I am then prevented from using "Hide All" as it will remove this rectangle as well.  So every time I need to print to pre-printed letterhead I have to unclick each and every letterhead element, print, then click them all visible again.  

Is there a simpler way of doing this?    

Monday, April 25, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

• I would assign bookmarks to the items that you do not want to be printed and then use a macro that formats the font in the range of the bookmarks as hidden when you do not want them to print:

With ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("logo").Range.Font
       If .Hidden = True Then
           .Hidden = False
       Else
           .Hidden = True
       End If
    End With

You should set up the text of letter head inside a borderless table with fixed row height to that the area assigned to the letter head remains unchanged.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"NeverQuiteSure" wrote in message news:d65e5438-3729-4b77-8625-734299f20532@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Is there anyway to choose whether or not Word prints the Header containing the letterhead?  Sometimes I want to turn off the header when printing on my preprinted stationary. But normally, I want it displayed when printing to plain paper or creating a PDF.

The only way I've found is to use*Page Layout --> Selection Pane*, then click the eye icon next to each individual element you want to remove. The reason this isn't a good solution is because Word removes the picture from the document instead of just making it invisible.  Thus, once you hide the graphics the document text moves into the empty space (where the pre-printed letterhead will be), changing the format of the document. I have to put an invisible rectangle shape behind the header elements and wrap text above and below it to keep the spacing intact.  Thus, I am then prevented from using "Hide All" as it will remove this rectangle as well. So every time I need to print to pre-printed letterhead I have to unclick each and every letterhead element, print, then click them all visible again.

Is there a simpler way of doing this?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, April 25, 2011 11:40 PM