none
Bitlocker unable to unlock drive using Windows 10

Question

• Hi There

I upgraded a HP laptop to the newest windows 10 version and as per organization requirements started bitlocker encryption on the windows drive.  While the encryption was running the user who uses the computer, for some reason had restarted the computer while encryption was in progress.

After the restart, it showed an error 0xc0000225 "Unable to find file winload.exe" 

It was not displaying the Bitlocker unlock screen so as to unlock the drive.

I also saved the recovery key and have it printed. 

Although after booting using a win10 usb and using CMD off the bootable usb to try unlock the drive, it did not work.

I used the command  x:\>windows\system32> manage-bde -unlock e: -rp "the 48digit key" 

but it said the password wasnt able to unlock the drive. Not sure why as I have the right key. 

Also note that I used the new encryption method that works only on windows 10.

I also tried removing the harddisk and connecting it to another PC that has windows 10 version 1511 and when clicking unlock drive it says that I need a newer version of windows to unlock the drive. How can that be when I have the newest version??

The user has some important data to recover and any help is appreciated to unlock the drive

The HDD is also a samsund SSD drive

Thanks

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, I noticed the error message, and I found several users who had the same problem with you, please refer to the link:

Winload.exe is missing or corrupt: Fix for Windows Vista, 7, 8: https://neosmart.net/wiki/winload-exe-missing-corrupt/

How to Fix Winload.exe Issue in Windows 8, 8.1, 10: http://windowsreport.com/winload-exe-windows-8/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 1:10 PM

All replies

• Good luck. May have shot themselves in the foot.

Open an elevated CMD prompt and look at "REPAIR-BDE" to see if this may help...

Ha®®y

• Edited by HarryVerge Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Taxes99 Friday, February 19, 2016 8:36 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:18 PM
  •     This is my computer not my iphone 
    Friday, February 19, 2016 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I noticed the error message, and I found several users who had the same problem with you, please refer to the link:

Winload.exe is missing or corrupt: Fix for Windows Vista, 7, 8: https://neosmart.net/wiki/winload-exe-missing-corrupt/

How to Fix Winload.exe Issue in Windows 8, 8.1, 10: http://windowsreport.com/winload-exe-windows-8/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 1:10 PM
  • Hi Tao

Tried this and didn't work.

It wasn't able to find any windows installation since the drive is encrypted

Thanks

Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:24 PM
  • Also tried repair-bde

Keeps saying failed to decrypt data at offset XXXXXXXX

think because the drive was only partially decrypted its not working properly

Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:26 PM
  • Repair-bde was your best bet. If that failed, only forensic experts might help.

You need backups at any time. Hard drives die, with or without bitlocker.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:02 PM