none
Script to change Advanced TCP/IP Settings in Win XP RRS feed

• Question

• First I should ask if there should be entries in both the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" field and the "DNS suffix for this connection" field or will that cause issues? If I should only have entries in the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" field how can I create a script to do both at the same time?

I found a VBS script which partially does what I need it to do:

SET WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\SearchList", "DC.LOC,DC1.COM", "REG_SZ"

My current DNS settings has a value (DC.LOC) in the "DNS suffix for this connection" with a check-mark next to "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" and the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" field is blank.

When the script runs it inserts the correct values in the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" which is required but it does not clear the information in the "DNS suffix for this connection" field. What can I add to clear this entry if in fact it is the desirable action?

Thanks

UPDATE: I figured out the script to achieve the desired results:

WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\SearchList", "DC.LOC,DC1.COM", "REG_SZ"

WSHShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\Interfaces\{9F55A8C4-BE0A-443E-9D09-1870F71CE6D1}\Domain", "", "REG_SZ"

Whether these entries are necessary or not, or I am missing the concept, it now allows me to ping a server in another domain by the host name rather than the FQDN only. Thanks.

• Edited by IBTrini Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:22 PM UPDATE
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• It doesn't hurt to have values in both the DNS suffix search list and the "DNS suffix for this connection" box; no worries.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Generally speaking these settings are not used in a domain and not in a stand alone system. They are not used to resolve DNS names. They are used to discover what domain a computer is in.  If you are in a Windows Domain this is all handled by the network and the AD servers.

Why is it that you think you need to change these settings?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:10 PM
  • This is the tool that is usually used to set these settings:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393296(v=vs.85).aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

I was under the impression that if you were dealing with one AD serve in the "DNS suffix for this connection" field however if there were 2 different AD servers then you should use the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" field instead.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Thanks for replying to my query.

I too thought if the client was setup to automatically obtain both IP and DNS settings from the server but it does not do that. It seems what ever is entered under the advanced settings overrides the auto settings. I did not try removing all entries from the advanced settings but I did change what I saw there.

As soon as I put in the information under the advanced setting (still setup for auto) I can ping those servers using the short name (host name?). Why this is happening I do not know but I need to resolve for many systems soon.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:49 AM
  • Thanks for replying to my query.

I too thought if the client was setup to automatically obtain both IP and DNS settings from the server but it does not do that. It seems what ever is entered under the advanced settings overrides the auto settings. I did not try removing all entries from the advanced settings but I did change what I saw there.

As soon as I put in the information under the advanced setting (still setup for auto) I can ping those servers using the short name (host name?). Why this is happening I do not know but I need to resolve for many systems soon.

I think you do not understand the difference between a DNS server and a suffix.  What you want are the DNS servers setting which is set differently.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393295(v=vs.85).aspx

Pay close attention to the explanation and the examples.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Thanks for the informative link - it's appreciated.
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:12 PM