none
Why won't Windows 7 play Audio to Multiple Playback Devices at once? RRS feed

• Question

• First I can find nowhere to submit a feature request to Microsoft. Does anyone know where to do this?

My main problem as in the title is why Windows 7 won't play Audio to Multiple Playback Devices at once? I just bought two bluetooth headsets to replace my infrared headphones and discover that I can only play audio to one. It's not that they are Bluetooth. If I had one set of Bluetooth speakers in the next room and the TV speakers in the Media Center PC room I still would only be able to listen in one room or the other,

Why not both. It's a simple request. I cannot find any answer on any forum to this problem other than "it used to work on XP" - just silly.

Any help anyone?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows 7, you can have only one "default" output and one "default" endpoint.  Applications can play to any output, but by default they will only use the "default" input and output.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I know what the limitation is.

I would like to know why such a ridiculous and pointless limitation is there (it's not in XP I understand) and when Microsoft will be correcting the glaringly obvious mistake?

Jim

Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:05 AM
  • First I can find nowhere to submit a feature request to Microsoft. Does anyone know where to do this?

It's worth a try to submit a feature request through the Windows 7 feedback form, but don't expect any miracles:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Have you tried searching the web for a third-party program that does what you need?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

I have also reported this feedback to our product group. In order to improve the users’ experience, they would consider it seriously.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Thanks Tim - I shall submit some feedback. I did search around for a driver but not some specific third-party tool or program. Good Idea. I'll post back here if I find something.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Seriously. You cannot use 2 playback devices simultaneously?  That's nonsense.  I LOVE Windows 7... except for this one reason.  People NEED this feature of the old XP very badly.  To tell you the truth, this is such a basic feature, I'm really surprised Microsoft missed it!!
    Windows 7 Microsoft people, you need to fix this with the next update.  I hope this is not some anti-copyright bologna. People will always be able to hack and crack and copy media digitally regardless of the number of sound outputs, you're not hurting anyone except ME..... the consumer.

This is absolutely crucial to me because I use my computer for an HTPC (home theatre PC) & I'm a dj / producer also.
    In order for me to switch between headphones or headset for talking and listening using Realtek AND HTPC output.... I have to restart my computer.  ANNOYING.  I don't need to switch at all, I need them both to play at the same time! 
    Lets just keep it simple here and say I wanted to play iTunes to 3 different devices at once (1 default playback device & 2 additional devices)
    Using only 1 communication device.  Windows 7 can't do that.  This is BASIC stuff to audio noobs, but especially sound mixing professionals.
    Even if it was a maximum of TWO playback options with ONE communication device I would be ok with it.  But ONE dedicated playback device is extremely limiting for this stage of technology.  I mean come on guys.
    PLEASE UPDATE WINDOWS 7 FOR MULTIPLE PLAYBACK DEVICES!!!
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Has this been resolved yet? I was told by BandH Tech Support that this capability existed and am wondering if there is an update I need to install.
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:46 PM
  • I haven't heard anything back from my feature request.

I haven't heard anything back from this site.

I had a quick search about two weeks ago and couldn't find any progress.

Perhaps Windows 8 will fix the silly limitation? Not that it will be of any use for me because I want to use it with Media Centre which is removed in Win8. I'd really like to know which users they ask when they make these decisions and which planet they live on!

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:12 AM