Windows server 2012 not contacting with wsus RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a wsus working on a windows server 2012 and the wsus settings distributed by GPO.

My problem is with the windows server 2012 which are clients of wsus. They are in the control panel of the wsus server but if I see their windows update settings the settings are different than in the GPO policy.

It says :

Some settings are managed by your system administrator

and selected:

Install updates automatically (recommended)

I have checked local policies and I don't see where is that policy and I don't know where the administrator is managing the settings.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi droig,

>Windows server 2012 not contacting with wsus

What does not contacting mean? Do the clients show up in the WSUS console? Could the clients report to the WSUS server correctly? Could the clients update from WSUS server? And, is the network connection between WSUS server and WSUS server well?

>Some settings are managed by your system administrator

After applying the GPO, the status will be "managed by your system administrator".

>selected: Install updates automatically (recommended)

What is the AU options configured in the GPO, if you want to check if the GPO is applied correctly on clients, you may run gpresult /h C:\report.html in cmd on client. You may also check the registry keys on client in: HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polices\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU, check if the WSUS server's address is correct and  if the AUoptions value is the same with that in GPO.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:41 AM
  • Hi Anne,

thanks for your help, I will try to answer as clearly as possible.

What does not contacting mean?

I answer in the following questions

Do the clients show up in the WSUS console?

Yes,

Could the clients report to the WSUS server correctly? Could the clients update from WSUS server? And, is the network connection between WSUS server and WSUS server well?

Yes because the "Last status report" is today or yesterday.

>Some settings are managed by your system administrator

After applying the GPO, the status will be "managed by your system administrator".

In case I run gpresult the GPO is in the report, that means the GPO is applying in theory, however the GPO is configured different what appears in the windows update settings. For example, the GPO has the "Configure automatic update" setting with option 4 "Autodownload and schedule the install" and it is in the cliente but nothing else. I have the "Scheduled install day" and "Scheduled install time"  in the GPO but it isn't in the client. And the same with other GPO seetings which aren't in the client.

>selected: Install updates automatically (recommended)

What is the AU options configured in the GPO,

"4 -Autodownload and schedule the install"

if you want to check if the GPO is applied correctly on clients, you may run gpresult /h C:\report.html in cmd on client.

It seems to be correct

You may also check the registry keys on client in:HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polices\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU,

The registry is modified and seems to have the GPO settings

check if the WSUS server's address is correct and  if the AUoptions value is the same with that in GPO.

I don't know because in the registry the settings are in binary, so the setting UseWUServer has 1 in hexadecimal.

With the rest of clients (wxp and w7) everything is fine.

Sorry but I don't know what's happening?

Thanks a lot.

• Edited by droig Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:33 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:50 AM
  • Hi droig,

>With the rest of clients (wxp and w7) everything is fine.

What is the problematic client's OS?

Try resetting windows update component on that client, check if it could work:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:34 AM