Lexmark X83 installation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Lexmark software for All-in-One product Model X83  is a combination of scanner and printer driver and software interface.  On 98 the display would include a window with graphics and interaction on Win2k & XP the driver window was limited down to a under-graphical display and incurred irregular identification issues with the USB.

The driver installation program will hang on attempts to run at the USB detection phase in addition the style of execution they choose for the installer causes major hinderance to cancel and abort the process.  Spool service needs to be terminated to interrupt.

Inquiry has been sent to Lexmark - but at this time there appears to be no on web projected Vista product support.  Inquiry was made to investigate which product will support in the coming year.  

I do not expect legacy support on this product as the company in past dealings has been rather stand-offish about which products contain levels of connectivity.

If there was even a rudimentary driver to print with this printer I would be thankful for a copy.  Or perhaps a recommendation for Printer manufaturer that has been found most compatible thus far to Vista.

Daak 

Sunday, June 25, 2006 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Daak,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting your printer to work with Vista. Multifunction printers are tougher to support than standalone printers because they need to include scanner and fax drivers, and scanners in particular often do not have updated drivers for new operating systems. I can't make any product recommendations, however you can use the Add Printer Wizard to look at the list of printer drivers currently included with Vista and select a printer from that list.

There are no Vista drivers for the Lexmark All-in-One product Model X83 printer that I know of. You can file a bug in Microsoft's database requesting driver support for this printer, and we'll discuss it with Lexmark. My installation came with a link to install the Microsoft Beta Client, but in case you cannot locate it or have removed it, you can download this Client from the following URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43655

The Microsoft Beta Client guides you through the process of filing a bug, collects necessary log files and information, and files a bug with Microsoft. Please be sure to include your e-mail address in the bug so the developer assigned to your bug can contact you for more information if necessary.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Daak,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting your printer to work with Vista. Multifunction printers are tougher to support than standalone printers because they need to include scanner and fax drivers, and scanners in particular often do not have updated drivers for new operating systems. I can't make any product recommendations, however you can use the Add Printer Wizard to look at the list of printer drivers currently included with Vista and select a printer from that list.

There are no Vista drivers for the Lexmark All-in-One product Model X83 printer that I know of. You can file a bug in Microsoft's database requesting driver support for this printer, and we'll discuss it with Lexmark. My installation came with a link to install the Microsoft Beta Client, but in case you cannot locate it or have removed it, you can download this Client from the following URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43655

The Microsoft Beta Client guides you through the process of filing a bug, collects necessary log files and information, and files a bug with Microsoft. Please be sure to include your e-mail address in the bug so the developer assigned to your bug can contact you for more information if necessary.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:45 PM
  • I had the same exact printer, same exact problems, ended up buying a new Brother multi-function and was only able to load print drivers.  Luckily, I was still able to load the full multi-function software on my production machine.  Being able to only print from Vista is a limitation I will have to live with until the printer manufacturers are offering a Vista compatible driver set for their multi's.
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 3:50 AM
  • I also have the same inssue, only the drivers did install, it just doesn't work. My model is a X75 All in one. Hope we can get some help on this.
    Monday, July 3, 2006 12:27 PM
  • I have a X75 and i need a driver for it to work on windows vista.....does any1 know how to get my Logitech quickcam working too?

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 11:48 PM
  • Which model of QuickCam are you using?
    Thursday, July 6, 2006 7:30 PM
  • nvm...i dont need my webcam driver anymore

but i still need a lexmark x75 driver for vista

Friday, July 7, 2006 5:37 PM
  • I have the same exact printer I am running windows XP and can not get this to work, I basically only need the scanner has anyone ever came up with a driver or anything to get this to work?
    Tuesday, August 8, 2006 11:38 PM
  • I have an X83, I contacted lexmark support about a vista driver and they said they had no plans at present to produce one, then they thanked me for letting them assist me!

I e-mailed back telling them that they did NOT! assist me, that providing a driver for the all in one they were happy to sell me would be assisting me.

they didn't get back to me this time.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I'm so glad I read the above posts.  I am about to join the Vista crew and replace this XP loaded machine complete with attached Lexmark X75 - donating all the old stuff to the Third World.

My X75 driver went belly-up so I deleted it and THEN tried to download an X75 driver from www.lexmark.co.uk and from everywhere else.  It doesn't exist!  So this Lexmark is going in the bin.  If anyone knows of a site holding an X75 driver - even for XP, please post it.  But...

After my experiences with this printer and the lack of support from Lexmark, I would not wish any Lexmark products on anyone - including the Third World.

HP rules! Spread the word.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:04 AM
  • Last night I bought a new computer with Vista on and I'm disappointed the X75 doesn't work- I LOOVED the software which made it easy to scan/print/make PDF files, etc...   Although I'm mad they won't support it on Vista, it worked so well I'm going to look for another Lexmark...

You can find drivers for XP here: http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:358:0:0&searchLang=en&os_group=WinXP&target= or the shortcut is here http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJXP75LE.exe

It's 23MB but shoot me an email if you have issues- I can email it out.
    --Will

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Could you be of some assistance in getting my new HP Computer with Vista Premium to install the Epson 2200 Driver for Vista. They have posted the driver to their support site, but after numerous attempts to install it to my computer and 6 non-working copies in my Printer folder, I am at a loss on how to get my printer to work. It shows that the printer is "Ready", but when I go to print a test page- Nothing! Furthermore the Printer on Device Manager shows an error. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:57 AM
  • hello I am French, I 'have also Lexmark x83 and Vista, no driver functions on Vista. But it is possible to use Virtual box is of virtualiser XP is to install the printer in the XP and its on tested and approval. But I would like well that Lexmark or Microsoft us kinds a driver Fonctionnel for the printer.
    Thanks
    Monday, April 2, 2007 11:17 PM
  • I am having the same problem, no Vista drivers for my X83.  Something I didn't even consider when I allowed myself to be talked into getting Vista.  I am not that technologically sophisticated that I need to be on the cutting-edge (still using the X83).  I just need things to work!  Has anyone gotten any new info on this issue?  It's very disappointing that neither MS nor Lexmark feels any obligation to its customers to meet this need.  Given all these companies have been able to accomplish I can't believe that this is any monumental task.  I am sure, in the short-run, it would not be a very profitable one; but a necessary one to provide to its customers who who have every right to expect support for their purchases.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:16 AM
  • Sadly, my X83 refuses to work with VISTA. It would be nice if Microsoft would bring this to Lexmark's attention and let them know how problems.  I had to go buy an HP which supports VISTA because I refuse to buy Lexmark again.
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I am not a techy however I am not a dummy either.   I bought a laptop for my son running Vista & was daft enough to think we could share devices like printers etc., big mistake!  I am struggling to get lots of things, including my Lexmark X83, working under Vista, I am not going out to buy loads of addtional devices just to get Vista working.  Do these company's think we are all made of money - should we have to throw everything out when something new comes along - the way I feel today I think I will give up this home computing lark and visit my library more often - someone else can have the headache!  Where do I get a list of what printers will run under Vista?    

Monday, May 28, 2007 11:57 AM
  • I'm in the same position. I bought a new computer with Vista. My 15-year-old HP LaserJet 4 and 10-year-old HP LaserJet 1100 both work, but not my 5-year-old Lexmark X83 scanner/colour printer. Contact with Lexmark elicited this response:

"may I suggest that since the printer is still in perfect working order as you stated, instead of disposing it off, you might want to consider selling it to someone who still uses other compatible operating softwares or perhaps to charity. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused." Mary Ochieno

You can contact Lexmark support at: mary.ochieno@lexmark.co.uk or go to your country's Lexmark websites, and make your feelings heard.

I wrote a letter to be passed on to the head of the relevant department requesting that they reconsider on the grounds of wasting planetary resources, as well as good customer relations. I bet it wouldn't take that long for someone to modify the existing driver to work with  an X83 or a generic range of related Lexmark printer/scanners. HP say that printer handling under Vista is not too different from XP.

I wonder what the effective carbon footprint of Windows Vista will be in terms of sheer waste and manufacture of replacement products, not to mention the energy spent on communications trying to resolve Vista compatability problems. Lexmark and MS have perhaps neglected to take into account the current world mindset re. environmental pollution/climate change etc. Seems like its time for them and many others to do so.

Continued user lobbying does have influence. Without customers, and their trust, companies cannot exist. If others out there have the same or a similar problem, I'd say: let Lexmark and MS know about it.

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:30 AM
  • i have the same problem  with vista and i have a solution  just buy another printer and boycott lexmark for not making a driver that works with vista and may be they might rethink it  make one for it
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:32 PM
  • I tried to install my x83 figured out it wasn't compatible with Vista so I thought, hey I really liked my x83 I'll just buy a newer version that's compatible with Vista.  Spent $40 at walmart for an x1270 and now if my computer goes into hybernation mode, I get a blue screen that says:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So I called Dell, reset my computer to factory settings, twice, and still get the same message.  Downloaded a driver that supposedly works from lexmark (and the tech from Dell did the same thing) and I still get the message.  I'm not sure if by trying to install the good old x83 screwed up my drivers (the tech from Dell told me when I reset the computer to factory settings it should have cleared the drivers) so I'm not sure who to complain to, Dell or Lexmark.  I've only had this computer for 3 weeks and it's as big as a pain in the *** as the old one.  Anyway, if anybody has a resolution to this problem let me know.

Friday, June 29, 2007 3:15 AM
  • It's time to stand together and put these companies that we made rich by buying their product but fail to provide us support.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 5:07 PM
  • This is what I got from lexmark

Dear Wayne, Here is your Service Request # 1-592217151. Thanks for using our electronic support to assist you with this issue. I regret to inform you that the hardware/technology of this printer would not support the 32/64 bit processes of the Vista OS. That is why there will be no driver developed for this machine. If you have any more questions or concerns, please contact me at your convenience and I will be happy to assist you. (If I am not available, another representative will reply to you as soon as possible.) To respond, please select "Reply" in your e-mail software, and be sure that the past e-mail is included in this reply. [AOL Users: In order to include the previous e-mail, you must highlight it with your mouse when you are replying.] If you need to reply, please be sure to include in your message all information from prior e-mail messages &amp; replies. If your e-mail client automatically deletes prior e-mail thread information, it will cause a delay while we look up your support history. If this is the case you may want to save the old e-mails as attachments and attach them to the current e-mail. Sincerely, Anoop <SPAN id=lw_1188476935_0 style="CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed; HEIGHT: 1em">Lexmark</SPAN> eSupport Team <A href="http://support.lexmark.com" target=_blank><SPAN id=lw_1188476935_1>http://support.lexmark.com</SPAN></A> [THREAD ID:1-9SL9OF] **********Original Message********** I, as well as a large number of people, (see microsoft tech forums) are still waiting for a vista driver for this all in one printer/scanner/fax machine you were more than happy to sell us a few years ago. I have been very happy with this unit and would like to continue to use it under the new OS. Please help us and support this product.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:34 PM
  • After reading all these posts I was both discouraged, but more determined than ever to get my X83 to run on Vista.  I have to say the determination payed off! That's right...I just both scanned and printed 7 pages on my X83 running on Vista!!!!  Here's what I did.  I first installed the XP driver for X83 hoping I could dumb my laptop down to make it run on an XP version....no luck there, but when I did that, my laptop recognized the X83 as a Lexmark 5200 series which is also an all in one.  I thought, well, if that's what it wants, that's what I will give it.  If you go to the Lexmark website and look under downloads/drivers, there is a list that shows all compatible OS.  The 5200 series is listed here with a Vista compatible driver.  Once I downloaded it and went through the installation wizard....it worked LIKE A DREAM!!!!  I hope this helps all of you as I also understood and felt your frustrations!  Good luck!!! 

p.s.  Would it be fair to say that I am smarter than Lexmark, or I am giving myself too much credit??? 
    Monday, September 3, 2007 1:12 AM
  •  

HEY MICROSOFT, I'VE BEEN TRYING FOR WEEKS TO INSTALL THIS PRINTER AND ALSO LIFECAM VX3000, BUT SOMEHOW DOWNLOAD CANNOT BE DOWNLOADED, PAGES DO NOT LOAD, IS I SOMETHING GOING ON WITH YOUR TECH GUYS? SHOULD I  SWITCH TO APPLE OR KEEP MICROSOFT? HEY, DO SOMETHING BECAUSE THERE ARE MILLLIONS OF COMPLAING ABOUT SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD, AND STUFF GOING WRONG IN THERE...

PAKA!

Monday, October 1, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Just so you know, Lexmark is owned by HP/Compaq. So all the power to ya for supporting HP, but you're also supporting Lexmark as well. Just thought you'd like to know.

Monday, October 1, 2007 3:17 PM
  • ncim2b writes above, and I quote "Could you be of some assistance in getting my new HP Computer with Vista Premium to install the Epson 2200 Driver for Vista. They have posted the driver to their support site, but after numerous attempts to install it to my computer and 6 non-working copies in my Printer folder, I am at a loss on how to get my printer to work. It shows that the printer is "Ready", but when I go to print a test page- Nothing! Furthermore the Printer on Device Manager shows an error. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!"

I have exactly the same problem with the epson stylus photo r320and a new  vista premium hp media center PC.  I have downloaded their 'driver' from the epsom website, installed it, got a message from vista saying it had not installed propperly and to try again using the correct parammeters for my version of vista, so I clicked on the button which did this, then tried a test page which didn't print.  I got the same "Printer on Device Manager shows an error" fault.  what's more when I turn the printer  on I get an error message that my usb connected peripheral is un recognised as the correct driver for the peripheral is not installed.  Epson have not replyed to my emails asking for the correct driver;  I have visited lots of forums and websited and the over ridding impression is that lots of people, having bought a new computer with vista installed can't get their epson printer to work as they can't get hold of a driver which works and epson are not interested in helping them.  The long and the short of it is I work from home as an artist and I need a quality printer for my work and can't wait days for epson to 'help' me.  I guess I shall have to by a new printer, which is not in my budget, you can rest assured it will not be an epson!!!

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:37 PM
  • things have moved since yesterday - I got a reply from epson saying what I downloaded was a plug-in not a driver as they do not provide vista drivers for their printers, microsft writes them and so epson offers no support for these products, yet go to this link:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?type=highlights&noteoid=86150

and the page says that the driver is in box which means that all you have to do is plug the epson stylus photo r320 into a usb port and follow the instructions as the driver is pre-installed in vista; THIS DOES NOT WORK! why? who's responsable epson or Microsoft?  Are epson advertising this product as being vista compatible?.  Are shops selling it as  being vista compatible? would some one at microsoft like to comment?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:48 PM
  • closer2fine77:  hey, thanks for share.  I tried the same thing, installed xp driver for x83 and failed, I figure the reason is the x83 driver compiled to 16bits while vista can only support 32/64bits.  anyway,  I can't get the system to recognize teh x83 as 5200 series, anything you did to enable that?  thanks a lot.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:40 PM
  • I am a soldier, looking to buy the lexmark X83 printer installation software for windows. i will buy it from you. this soldier need the sofware asap. please email me if you have one or can make me a copy of one.

soldier in need.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:37 AM
  • Thankyou for the info saved me a lot of time looking for a solution, disapointed with Lexmark
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Another solution is to switch to Linux. Its free, easy to understand and, most drivers work with it. Plus, support is free as well and, as it stands, Open Source has been rated better than propriatery software.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:53 PM
  • rhogle.

I have that same problem X83 contacted Lexmark they said they have NO program for Vista

and they will not have one.  I am in the same boat as many others. I am looking into a

wireless printer to go with the wireless system I am running. I have looked at a couple that say

wi fi ready. But i am on charter wireless connection (router-N)

When I ask if this printer work though a N-Router and any wireless connection they didn't realy know.

Bottom line. Have U found a printer yet. Just need print/scan/copy. Low price would be nice.

thanks,

Ben

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:45 PM
  •  

I have a lexmark p4350 and I bought a new computer about 2 months ago.. I just now found out that my all in one does not work scanning pictures with vista!!!! Is there any new downloads to get this to work or do I need to buy a new printer?

Thanks

Angela

Monday, March 31, 2008 12:09 AM
  • I have the same problem.  Have you ever found a solution to get Lexamrk x83 to work with Vista (Home Premium)?  I can't afford to constantly upgrade every computer hardware & software item.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Managed to install a driver when i plugged the x83 in after downloading a driver pack for the 5200 series, as Lexmark x83 Mpd (i think) however, cannot use this as printer or scanner, went to add scanner, is on list but will not come up to use.(can explain more just ask)
    Now trying to download program for the 5200 series, from the one download site that works (slowly) will report back soon.
    any help would be appreciated!
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:48 PM
  • surrposed driver was actualy fax sollutions :(
    anyone know of the program, lexmarks site is dead :(
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:58 PM