none
Can FAST Search update the metadata fields attached to the content? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if FAST Search can be used to update the metadata fields of my content?

I have a Termset called Country-States turned on for a Document Library.

Node: California 

--> Node: San Francisco

--> Node: Los Angelos

Now, I want FAST Search to spider all of the Content in search for each of the Nodes in my Termset and if say

Los Angelos is found in a document, update the Metadata navigation field 'State' and add the Los Angelos node.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Kelly,

You have two approaches.

1. You can create a custom pipeline extensibility stage which runs during index. This stage can examine your content for term store data, and then update the SP item using for example the webservice API. On subsequent crawls the item will be re-crawled as it has been modified, so make sure you add logic to not update items which have termset data.

2. Create a scheduled job running as a user with access to all content. Then execute a search for your terms, and iterate through the resultset, updating termdata where needed.

The advantage with the second approach is that it can update items if your term set change over time, as you can run it on a scheduled basis.

Note that if you use the metadata refiner, then the item will be included in the subsequent crawl, not in the first one. This yields the same for both approaches.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by KellyMyhre Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:24 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Kelly,

You have two approaches.

1. You can create a custom pipeline extensibility stage which runs during index. This stage can examine your content for term store data, and then update the SP item using for example the webservice API. On subsequent crawls the item will be re-crawled as it has been modified, so make sure you add logic to not update items which have termset data.

2. Create a scheduled job running as a user with access to all content. Then execute a search for your terms, and iterate through the resultset, updating termdata where needed.

The advantage with the second approach is that it can update items if your term set change over time, as you can run it on a scheduled basis.

Note that if you use the metadata refiner, then the item will be included in the subsequent crawl, not in the first one. This yields the same for both approaches.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by KellyMyhre Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:24 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Perfect, thank you Mikael. I take it that this is done through .NET?
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:24 PM