none
Backup & Restore ProjectBIcenter site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

The Project server developers would like me to refresh the developement instance with the latest content of the live instance , they only want me to preserve the content of the developement BI center so that it can be restored. I have tried an export and import after the 5 database restore from live to development but this does not work.

I do not think that using the playbooks will help!

Is there  anyone that has done this before?

Thanks and regards,

Jim

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:57 PM

All replies

• Export / Import works well. What is the issue you are experiencing?

Ensure the "Export" happened appropriately from the source, by importing / restoring on new site as below

stsadm -o export http://servername/pwa/projectBIcenter -filename d:\backup\bi.bak

stsadm -o import http://servername/pwa/ProjectBIcenter2 -filename d:\backup\bi.bak

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Hi

I agree with Siriam.

I suggest adding the -includeusersecurity parameter to preserve versioning and user Information. And of course you will probably import to the same URL that you used for the Import before.

Alternatively you could also leave the complete SharePoint part of the development instance intact. Just delete the PWA instance without deleting the site collection. Then just transfer the 4 pwa databases, create the PWA site again and do some necessary customizations to the SharePoint site collection if needed.

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Sriram,

Thanks for your answer!

The procedure you are describing is what I have followed but then the BICenter content is not operational anymore. Performancepoint is totaly useless.

Regards,

Jim

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Christopher,

Thanks for your reply , As stated I have tried to export and import the BICenter including the usersecurity but the BIcenter (performancePoint) content was worthless .

I like your alternative , but could you eleborate on the necessary customizations to the SharePoint site collection ?

I am not sure I fully inderstand?

Regards,

Jim

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Hi Jim,

If you only use the 4 PWA databases for Transfer from Prod to Dev, the development pwa site will look as it did before. Meaning the start page (probably no problem for the development system). But what you also loose is the Project Detail pages. They will remain as they have been before and will not be transferred from prod to dev.

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:26 AM