none
Redirected Profiles - "My Music" & "My Videos" folders

Question

• We're running Windows Server 2008R2 with Windows 7 client PC's.  We're currently using roaming profiles but experimenting with a switchover to redirected profiles.  I've got the GPO up and working, but there is one problem.  On the client machine under "Libraries" you have the traditional "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", and "Videos" folders.  But when you open "Documents", there is also a "My Music" and "My Videos" folder.

We don't want these new folders to be there.  We want the switch to redirected profiles to be transparent so as to avoid confusion with the users.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

We are currently redirecting Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos and here are the settings for each:

Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)hide
    Path: \\m1e1\RedirectedFolders\%USERNAME%\Desktop (or Music, Pictures, etc.. whatever the case may be)
    Optionshide
    Grant user exclusive rights to Desktop Disabled 
    Move the contents of Desktop to the new location Enabled 
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems Disabled 
    Policy Removal Behavior Restore contents 

Thanks for any insight!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I don't want to get rid of the libraries.  I just want to get delete the My Music and My Video folders that the GPO added to the Documents folder. 

Before going further, did we also configure folder redirection for My Music and My Video and configured the setting to Follow the Documents folder? We can run gpresult/h gpreport.html to collect group policy result report to check this. For folder redirection, there is an option to have the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders follow the Documents folder.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Folder Redirection Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc732275.aspx

If we did configure Music and Videos to follow the Documents, to remove these two folders from the Documents, we can edit the group policy settings to redirect these two folders back to the  local profile location.

Regarding how to redirect special folders to the local profile location, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Configuring Folder Redirection

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc786749.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, January 05, 2015 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> On the client machine under "Libraries" you have the traditional "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", and "Videos" folders.

Libraries are a feature that gives you a consolidated view of related files in one place. We can search Libraries to find the right files quickly, even when those files are in different folders or on different systems.

Regarding Libraries, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Windows 7 Libraries: Frequently Asked Questions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449413(v=ws.10).aspx

>>We don't want these new folders to be there.  

To remove Libraries from File Explorer, we can do this by editing the registry in the following way:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]
          "Attributes"=dword:b090010d

Regarding this point, the following thread can be referred to for more information.

Remove Favorites, Libraries, and Homegroup from Navigation Pane

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ac419c2b-4a38-44f0-b1f0-b0ed9fdcfdeb/remove-favorites-libraries-and-homegroup-from-navigation-pane?forum=w7itproui

We can use GPP Registry extension to deploy the registry change to clients.

Regarding GPP Registry extension, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Registry Extension

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771589.aspx

In addition, before using GPP Registry extension to deploy the registry change, we need to check the permissions of the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder. If we don't have enough permissions to do this, this won't work. To do this, we can use the following policy setting to edit the permissions of the ShellFolder:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Registry

Note: Serious problems might occur if we modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that we follow the steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before we modify it.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, January 02, 2015 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure this is what I'm looking for.  Let me explain more.

Once we enabled the redirected folders GPO, another My Music and My Videos folder was added to the users' Documents folder.  For what reason, I have absolutely no idea.  Here is a picture of what I am speaking of:

I don't want to get rid of the libraries.  I just want to get delete the My Music and My Video folders that the GPO added to the Documents folder.  I want them to never be created in the first place because I don't want to have to manually go through every user account to delete them. I still want the Music and Videos libraries along with the others to show on the sidebar.

Thanks and happy new year!

Friday, January 02, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

>>I don't want to get rid of the libraries.  I just want to get delete the My Music and My Video folders that the GPO added to the Documents folder. 

Before going further, did we also configure folder redirection for My Music and My Video and configured the setting to Follow the Documents folder? We can run gpresult/h gpreport.html to collect group policy result report to check this. For folder redirection, there is an option to have the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders follow the Documents folder.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Folder Redirection Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc732275.aspx

If we did configure Music and Videos to follow the Documents, to remove these two folders from the Documents, we can edit the group policy settings to redirect these two folders back to the  local profile location.

Regarding how to redirect special folders to the local profile location, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Configuring Folder Redirection

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc786749.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, January 05, 2015 3:03 AM
  • Thanks everyone.  I got it working.  

It seems I had the settings wrong initially and it caused the My Music and My Pictures folders to show up in My Documents.  Once I changed it to the correct settings, those folders remained and if I tried to delete them they would pop back up almost instantly.  No idea how to fix that.

It's OK because we are still in the planning stages and it only affected a couple of profiles.  Once I had the settings correct and tried with a profile I hadn't used yet, everything worked as expected.

Friday, January 16, 2015 10:11 PM