none
VSS Retryable Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Hyper-V R2 host that has a SQL guest on it and it stopped backing up recently. Using the VSS List Writers on the host I see an error "VSS Retryable Error". If I turn the SQL guest off then the error goes away and I can back up the guest.

The issue appears to be in the guest and I do see a SCOM alert that may be a coincidence but it sure looks suspect:

C:\Windows\SRPPartition on computer SQL.DOMAIN is running out of disk space.

I would imagine the VSS writer makes use of this partition within guest so this really looks suspect. Has anyone seen this before or know how to clear the out of space issue?

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:33 PM

All replies

• Just to rule out the space issue, if you have enough space on any other drive, let's say D: then you can move the shadow storage for c: on d:

from an elevated command prompt - vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=C: /on=D:

Once this is done further snapshots will use space on d: rather than c:

WARNING:- This might cause the guest backup to be an offline backup rather than an online backup (Which means that the vm will not be accessible while the backup is in progress.) as per this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx

Please use this as a Test only as there are side effects of this step.

• Proposed as answer by Siddharth Jha Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:36 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:10 PM