Windows server 2008 R2 Access files from anywhere RRS feed

• Question

• I want to make windows server 2008 R2 access from anywhere. I will install window server. It will basically be a file server and I want to access it from anywhere. Can you provide some steps that should be done . there is need to have a public IP or without public IP it can be done?
    Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi

You will need to have a public IP Natted to your internal IP. be aware you dont want to expose this server too much to the internet, make sure you only have your ISP open certain ports on the firewall or if you are hosting your own TMG server for example publish it through there.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:29 AM
  • As said above you need to have a public IP, and also I think maybe you need VPN Server and also the DFS Configured. Through VPN Server you can able to make connection to your server from anywhere and through DFS or through Advance file sharing you can share the folders to the respected users...
    • Edited by Paventhan D Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:13 AM