none
Extranet - Sharing Project Subsites / Document Libraries and individual documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are running Project Server 2013 on-premise and would like to share a project site-sub site / document library folders or individual files to external users. Contractors / Vendors/ Customers.

When I try to share a site / folder or document I enter in the external users email address ex. user@gmail.com

But when I click OK the following message appears.

"Sorry, you are not allowed to share this with external users."

How can I enable sharing externally. Can you please send me the exact steps?

Thanks

Monday, April 14, 2014 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hi cdmit,

if your Project Server environment is on-premise, you can't share content without any authentication. This is for security reasons. External users must pass your firewall. Therefore the easiest way is to give external users an Active Directory Account which you can enter in the Workspace. But don't forget: also external useres must have CALs for PWA, SharePoint Standard and SharePoint Enterprise which your company has to pay for.

Best Regards,

Bernhard Fischer

Bernhard Fischer [MVP] | www.wodey.de

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:57 AM
  • Friday, April 18, 2014 10:04 PM
  • Hi Cdmit,

You can configure either forms authentication or SAML based Claims authentication with ADFS.

Here are the articles to configure

Configure SAML based Claims authentication with ADFS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh305235.aspx

Configure Forms based authentication for Claims: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee806890.aspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Phani - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 18, 2014 10:15 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

the licensing documents you have postet are only related to SharePoint 2013. Consider, that the Project Server 2013 Project Workspace template is a very special Team Site which has some specific enhancements from the Project Server.

Project Server 2013 has no cost free use for external users like SharePoint. In anyway you have to pay for Project Web App CALs if external users have access to Project Server.

Regards

Bernhard Fischer

Bernhard Fischer [MVP] | www.wodey.de

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:43 AM