none
Nslookup Domain Name RRS feed

• Question

• When I perform nslookup of the domain name (abc.org), I get IP addresses ending with 0 (e.g. 192.168.1.0) in addition to the IP address of the domain controllers. Is anyone else getting similar result and is this normal?
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Rafique,

>>I get IP addresses ending with 0 (e.g. 192.168.1.0) in addition to the IP address of the domain controllers.

The 192.168.1.0 is not IP address of your domain controller?

Check the forward lookup zone on DNS server, find out the record with the IP address.

If you are using /24 subnetmask, the IP address is not valid. If you are not using /24 subnetmask, the IP address is valid.

The record may be created manually. You could delete it if it is created mistakenly.

Best regards

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rafique Karim Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

No, this is not normal and I would try to investigate why this happens being on your place. YOu may start with checking who regstered this IP address for this record.

Regards

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:49 PM
  • That is expected if you do not use /24 (255.255.255.0) as subnet. You need to check your IP settings and adjust the IPs/subnet accordingly.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, April 18, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Hi Rafique,

>>I get IP addresses ending with 0 (e.g. 192.168.1.0) in addition to the IP address of the domain controllers.

The 192.168.1.0 is not IP address of your domain controller?

Check the forward lookup zone on DNS server, find out the record with the IP address.

If you are using /24 subnetmask, the IP address is not valid. If you are not using /24 subnetmask, the IP address is valid.

The record may be created manually. You could delete it if it is created mistakenly.

Best regards

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rafique Karim Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:37 AM
  • 192.168.1.0  is not domain controller. 

I'm using /21 (255.255.248.0) subnet mask and I do see the IP addresses as static entries in DNS. Is there any documentation that references this behavior?

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi Rafique,

Which device does the IP address belong to?

If it is not in use, you could delete the record.

>>there any documentation that references this behavior?

If the record is a NS record, it was created when the zone was built.

Best Regards,

Leo

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:27 AM
  • I see name for that record as "(same as parent folder) " which shows me it's the Name Server record. Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:01 PM