none
how to use Windows XP as the WinPE in MDT 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• dear all,

as we know , the MDT 2012 update1 use Windows 8  as WinPE for boot image,

but how to use Windows XP as the WinPE of the boot image.

thanks

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Friday, November 29, 2013 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Frank,

Actually I meant:

1 VM with WAIK and MDT Console

1 VM with ADK and MDT Console

and then you can connect from either the VM's to your share, and it doesn't matter if the deploymentshare is on the 1st VM or 2nd VM, or on a third server / share / DFS.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:32 AM

All replies

• Frank,

The version of WinPE is decided by the version of the deployment tools you are using. When you are using Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 version 3.0 then you are using WinPE 3.0 (which can be upgraded to WinPE 3.1 if you change certain components)

If you are using Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) then you automatically have WinPE 4.0 available. And then there is Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit 8.1 for Windows Server 2012R2 and Windows 8.1, which is currently at WinPE version 5.0.

So the version of WinPE is mainly decided by the version of WAIK / ADK you use. Can you combine working with these versions on MDT? Yes as long as the version is supported by the version of MDT you are using. You can install for example 1 VM with WAIK and another VM with ADK. Both can connect to the deployment share, and when updating the deployment share, it is decided which version of WinPE will be used.

Cheers!

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Thank you Rens

Do you means that we can deploy 3 VMs, the 1st install the MDT 2012, the 2nd install WAIK,and the 3rd install ADK. 

but would you please guide me how to connect the WAIK or ADK with MDT ?

thanks

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Friday, December 6, 2013 2:42 AM
  • another question Rens,

I use MDT to deploy WinXP clients for my customer.

the customer use IEEE802.1X for security authentication.

would you please guide me how to set the WinPE boot image to support IEEE802.1x.

Thank you 

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Friday, December 6, 2013 2:46 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Actually I meant:

1 VM with WAIK and MDT Console

1 VM with ADK and MDT Console

and then you can connect from either the VM's to your share, and it doesn't matter if the deploymentshare is on the 1st VM or 2nd VM, or on a third server / share / DFS.

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Thank you Rens,

I well test them according to your guide.

Thanks again

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Saturday, December 7, 2013 2:16 AM