WSUS Content Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We are busy with the implementation of our new SCCM CB environment and the new SCUP integration (installation)

We want to implement the SUP shared WSUS database functionality

We want to make an network share for the WSUS content , I am a bit stuck on the rights I have to give to the share permissions and security permissions 

And what about the network load on this share do all the clients connect to this share or is the wsus content directory only used for the SUP servers to store the eula.

I hope someone can help me with these questions

Regards

Johan

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:58 PM

Answers

• Are you talking about the WSUS folder that you specify, when you install WSUS via Server Manager? When using WSUS with ConfigMgr, then this folder will only have some small License / EULA text files in it. (Unless you make the mistake to manually approve updates in WSUS, which you shouldn't do..)

The actual Update Binaries are downloaded by ConfigMgr and stored in a Deployment Package on a separate Share, that you specify when creating the Software Update Deployment Package.

This Deployment Package will then be distributed to your Distribution Point where it will be accessed by the Clients.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Please remember to mark the post(s), which answered your question.

• Edited by Simon Dettling Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by T.S.K Sunday, May 27, 2018 8:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Erven Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Johan Erven Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Erven Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:32 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:23 PM
  • The SCCM Clients don't access the WSUS Content Directory. They get these updates from the SCCM DPs.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:03 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about the WSUS folder that you specify, when you install WSUS via Server Manager? When using WSUS with ConfigMgr, then this folder will only have some small License / EULA text files in it. (Unless you make the mistake to manually approve updates in WSUS, which you shouldn't do..)

The actual Update Binaries are downloaded by ConfigMgr and stored in a Deployment Package on a separate Share, that you specify when creating the Software Update Deployment Package.

This Deployment Package will then be distributed to your Distribution Point where it will be accessed by the Clients.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Please remember to mark the post(s), which answered your question.

• Edited by Simon Dettling Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by T.S.K Sunday, May 27, 2018 8:16 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Hi Simon

Thanks so far

Indeed I mean that WSUS folder so basically only my SUP's needs access to this location (only Eula txt files are downloaded there)

But when I implement SCUP also the following folder is created underneath  that WSUS folder namely "UpdateServicesPackages" in this folder cab files are created from the imported third party updates , do normal clients need to access this folder ?

Regards

Johan 

Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Is it ok to only give my both sups FC on the share and no other rights need to be provided on that share
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:21 PM
  • Hi Johan,

When you add the WSUS feature and SCCM sup, this "UpdateServicesPackages" folder system is automatically created.
    Not because of the scup installed.

Normally, according to the correct configuration, you do not need to manually configure folder permissions.

Best regards

Yuxiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Hi

Thx for the answer but

I followed the following guide

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/10/12/how-to-implement-a-shared-susdb-for-configuration-manager-software-update-points/

It states in that guide about the wsus content directory

You will need a shared WSUS content directory that you have already created using either a standard network share or Distributed File System (DFS). All of the WSUS computer accounts must have change permissions for the share.

So when I create a network share for the WSUS content directory and I give both SUPs Change permission will this work then , do my normal sccm clients also need access to this directory or will only my both Sups needs acces to this directory.

I hope someone can answer

Regards

Johan

Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:27 AM
  • The SCCM Clients don't access the WSUS Content Directory. They get these updates from the SCCM DPs.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:03 AM
  • Thx

That was the answer I was hoping and expecting thx

Regards

Johan

Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:20 AM
  • Hi All

I was to soon to close this question , I still won't work as I expected

I created the share FC both SUP/WSUS servers added full control share permissions

I give both  SUP/WSUS servers FC security permissions removed all other rights

Afterwards I was able to download the normal WSUS updates but when I tried to publish SCUP updates I received an error that some directory cannot be created , after adding the current user account that was performing this action everything seems to be working again . But what other issues will we encounter if we implement a network share on forehand which we will use for the WSUS shared database solution wsus content folder ( Note the share will be created by another department in the production environment so that's why we cannot do trial and error the rights needs to be clearly on forehand)

Is there any document that described the necessary rights , or can someone tells me this

Thanks in advance

Johan

• Edited by Johan Erven Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:37 AM forgot something
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:32 AM