Backup Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what the folders listed below do. When I create an Exchange backup, I select all folders.

Does selecting "Top of Information Store" provide me with all the backup information I need to restore a mailbox?

Also, I can't seem to find any good articles about these folders.

Common Views

• Deferred Action
    • Finder
    • Free/Busy Data
    • Reminders
    • Schedule
    • Shortcuts
    • Spooler Queue
    • Top of Exchange store
    • Views
    • Thank you,
    • Richard

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:28 PM

All replies

• It would help to know what backup software you're using. It would also help to know if you're using it to make a "brick-level" backup of individual mailboxes.

The recommended way to backup Exchange databases is to back up the entire database. In that way the log files that contain only committed transactions are removed from your server.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:43 PM
  • I apologize  for leaving important information out. I'm running Veritas backup exec version 10. I am doing brick-level backups which i know take a long time, but we are finally upgrading to Exchange 2010 and using Backupexec 2012 with the Exchange Agent. My goal this weekend is to decrease the amount of time a full backup takes so that I can start migration mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to 2010. So I wanted to know if the best way to do this is just to backup the "Top of Information Store" or do I also need the other folders (Common Views, Deferred Action, Finder, Freebusy Data, Schedule, Shortcuts, and Views. I've attached  2 images of my backup job set up.

Thank you for assisting me with this,

Richard

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Sorry, I don't use BackupExec so I can't offer advice on how to make it run faster.

But why are you making brick-level backups at all? Unless you have users that outsmart themselves by removing stuff from recoverable items, why not just increase the expiry time on deleted items and keep a reasonable (based on your business requirements) amount of recoverable data on your server?

Making backups of the database instead of mailbox content is a way to speed up your backups.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:25 PM