ForeFront 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are using ForeFront 2010 in our new SharePoint 2010 farm, and have a filter list set up to block file types over a certain size.  This issue is, the error message the user sees when they try to upload a file larger than the cap looks like this:

string_resource_207

string_resource_218

The file cannot be saved to the document library.  If you want to save this file to the document library, clean the file using alternative virus scanning software and try saving it again.

So, 2 questions:

1.  How can I get this "string_resource" message changed to something that makes sense?

2.  Is there a way to change the body of the message to be more specific to the cause (the file is too big)?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

This is usually a FPSP issue, caused by a lack of permissions on a resource string DLL. The Network Service account needs at least ‘List folder / read data‘, ‘Read attributes‘, ‘Read extended attributes‘ and ‘Read permissions‘ on the following DLL: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Forefront Security\Exchange Server\ENG\ResourceStrings.dll.mui. This assumes that FPSP has been installed in the English locale. If this is not the case, substitute ‘ENG’ with the appropriate 3-letter language abbreviation (e.g. DEU for German).

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Network Service account already has the following permissions:

Traverse folder/execute file

List folder/read data

Read Attributes

Read Extended Attributes

Read Permissions

to the file:  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint\EN-US\ResourceStrings.dll.mui

It just seems like the string_resources in question are missing...

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:57 PM
  • I have same issue, but permission for Network Service Account is fine.
    Any ideas?

Regards

Rene Anton
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I also have the problem and the network account has the appropriate security permissions.  Has anyone been able to resolve this problem?
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Here's the solution.  There is a bug in the 2010 install that does not set the folder permissions correctly on the language folders.

Look for these folders under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint"

DE-DE
            EN-US
            ES-ES
            FR-FR
            IT-IT
            JA-JP
            KO-KR
            PT-BR
            RU-RU
            ZH-CN
            ZH-TW

For each folder, add the local accounts "WSS_ADMIN_WPG" & "WSS_WPG", granting "Read & Execute" permissions.

That should correct the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Kiwifulla Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:13 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:19 PM
  • I followed TheDillon solution but only applied permissions to EN-US - at first this made no difference, however overnight it appears to have fixed the fault (no reboot/no logoff etc.).  Thanks
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:35 PM
  • AppPool recycle perhaps?
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Here's the solution.  There is a bug in the 2010 install that does not set the folder permissions correctly on the language folders.

Look for these folders under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint"

DE-DE
            EN-US
            ES-ES
            FR-FR
            IT-IT
            JA-JP
            KO-KR
            PT-BR
            RU-RU
            ZH-CN
            ZH-TW

For each folder, add the local accounts "WSS_ADMIN_WPG" & "WSS_WPG", granting "Read & Execute" permissions.

That should correct the issue.

I did the above and then did an iisreset /noforce and now the language texts are displaying correctly i.e.

Malware Found

Malware DOS/EICAR_Test_File within file EICAR.TXT has been detected.

This file cannot be saved to the document library. If you want to save this file to the document library, clean the file using alternative virus scanning software and try saving it again.

• Proposed as answer by Powerballer Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:23 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:23 AM